Court of the Peculiar of the Dean & Chapter of NorwichEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit The Guildhall Library, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
The the Court of the Peculiar of the Dean & Chapter of Norwich probate records have to some extent been indexed with the following ones:
Will indexes (some of the partial indexes) covering much of the county is available  for the years 1800-1857. More years are being added so re-visit their website regularly.
Also, another online index is available through the [Norfolk Record Office].
Also, Ancestry.co.uk has indexed some probate records abstracts as well.
Printed and Published Indexes
The Norfolk Record Office has indexed a considerable number of the wills from this court jurisdiction and this index is available in the following publication:
- Index of wills proved in the Norfolk Archdeaconry Court, compiled by Patrick Palgrave-Moore in FHL book call #942.61 B4m vol. 16. These are probate indexes for the Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich 1416-1857.
Original Handwritten Indexes
Calendars exist from 1600-1857 for wills. These are available on microfilm for this court at the Family History Library (see below). You can access these records at the Norfolk Record Office at the above address. Or these are accessible at the Family History Library or through its Family History Centers worldwide.
Norfolk Record Office
The Archive Centre
Telephone: 01603 222599
Fax: 01603 761885
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Registered copy Wills 1572-1857
Will Registers 1444-1558
Administration Act Books 1613-1618
Probate Inventories 1681-1782
Family History Library Records
The Court of the Peculiar of the Dean & Chapter of Norwich held jurisdiction over the following parishes and Cathedral in County Norfolk:
the Precincts of Norwich Cathedral, Arminghall, Catton, Eaton, Hindolveston, Lakenham, Martham, Norwich St. Helen, Norwich St James, Norwich St Paul, Plumstead Magna, Sedgeford, Sprowston, Trowse and West Beckham.
Probate records of the Court of the Peculiar of the Dean & Chapter of Norwich commence from as early as 1529 to1569, 1600-1634, 1636-1651, 1660-1857.
- This page was last modified on 16 December 2011, at 23:40.
- This page has been accessed 306 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More