Court of the Peculiar of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem in Manors of Crossley, Bingley, Cottingley and PudseyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Probate is the legal court process by which the estate of a deceased person is distributed to his or her heirs. The term probate refers to a collection of documents, including wills, administrations (also called admons), inventories, and act books. The Church of England ecclesiastical courts had authority for this process until to 1858.
Step By Step
1. Search indexes to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail given in the index.
2. Go to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Obtain the records to search. Use one of these methods to find indexes and records.
- Contact or visit the Archive (see below) or hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf.
- Order microfilm copies of the indexes and records listed in the Family History Library Records (see section below) by visiting the Family History Library or one of its family history centers and search indexes and records.
Indexes for 54 peculiar courts, 1383-1883, are available online on BritishOrigins. This is a subscription site.
Printed and Published Indexes
Records are housed in the Borthwick Institute.
Family History Library Records
The Family History Library has the following records on film. Films can be view in the library or in a family history center.
- Original wills, 1599-1804, on film number 99912. They are arranged by the initial letter of each surname.
- Wills were printed in full, 1600-1645, along with the inventories and abstracts of the bonds of the "Local Record Series" of the Bradford Historical and Antiquarian Society.
This peculiar court was not inhibited. It covers the manors of Crossley, Bingley and Pudsey.
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 23:24.
- This page has been accessed 1,280 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News