Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of North NewboldEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Probate is the legal court process by which the estate of a deceased person is distributed to his or her heirs. The term probate refers to a collection of documents, including wills, administrations (also called admons), inventories, and act books. The Church of England ecclesiastical courts had authority for this process until to 1858.
Step By Step
1. Search indexes to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail given in the index.
2. Go to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Obtain the records to search. Use one of these methods to find indexes and records.
- Contact or visit the Archive (see below) or hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf.
- Order microfilm copies of the indexes and records listed in the Family History Library Records (see section below) by visiting the Family History Library or one of itsfamily history centers and search indexes and records.
Indexes for 54 peculiar courts, 1383-1883, are available online on British Origins. This is a subscription site.
Pritned and Published Indexes
The calendar for this court, 1633-1734, appears on page 69 of a bound manuscript volume on the Family History Library film number 98916 item 4. Another calendar is mentioned in the Records section below.
The records for this court are held in the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
Family History Library Records
The Family History Library has original records, 1633-1734, on film number 99927 item 4. Films can be view in the library or in a family history center.There is little break between the records of North Newbald and those preceding it for Wadworth and Barmby Moor. The first document on this film is dated 1728. There is no order. Another calendar comes last.
North and South Newbald
- This page was last modified on 7 May 2013, at 15:59.
- This page has been accessed 414 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More