Coweta County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Coweta County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Coweta County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 11, 1826|
|Address|| Coweta County Courthouse|
200 Court Square
Newnan, GA 30263
Coweta County Website
Coweta County Courthouse
200 Court Square
Newnan, GA 30263
Probate Court has birth and death records from 1919, marriage and probate records from 1828; Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1828.
1826--Coweta County was created 11 December 1826 from Creek Indian Lands.
County seat: Newnan 
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported loss or damage.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Coweta County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Jones, Mary G. Coweta County Chronicles for One Hundred Years: With an Account of the Indians from Whom the Land was Acquired, and Some Historical Papers Relating to Its Acquisition by Georgia, with Lineage Pages. Atlanta, Ga.: Stein Print. Co., 1928. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Regiments. Service men in Coweta County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Coweta County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Ramsey's) (Confederate) , Company A
- - 7th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company A
- - 19th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company D
- - 34th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company D
- - 37th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company I
- - 41st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Companies D and A
- - 53rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Companies D and G
- - 55th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company K
- - 56th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Companies A and I
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project (other war's information is also giving)
- Anderson, W. U. 1977. A history of Coweta County from 1825 to 1880. Newnan, Georgia: Newnan-Coweta Historical Society. (page 34-40) 975.8423 H2a also Film 6003707 INTERNET ARCHIVE
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Coweta County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Coweta County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742 – 1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742 – 1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at [https:familysearch.org FamilySearch] images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills 1827-1847; 1849-1885; 1885-1910 (abstracts)Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Will Bk A 1828-1848 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Will Bk B 1848-1892 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Annual Returns Bk B 1837-1843 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785 - 1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808 - 1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699 - 1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1827 - 1849; 1885-1886 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1827 - 1871 - Coweta County Marriage Index 1827-1871. Batch M712601 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852 - 1872 - Coweta County Marriage Index 1852-1872. Batch M712602 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1872 - 1878 - Coweta County Marriage Index 1872-1878. Batch M712603 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873 - 1884 - Coweta County Marriage Index 1873-1884. Batch M712604 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884 - 1895 - Coweta County Marriage Index 1884-1895. Batch M712605 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1888 - 1895 - Coweta County Marriage Index 1888-1895. Batch M712606 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1933 - 1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914 - 1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928 - 1939 Georgia Deaths 1928-1938 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1859-60, 1879-80 - Coweta County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry $
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Coweta County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 1014
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See [[Introduction to LDS Family History Centers|Family History Center] for more information. Search the [https://familysearch.org/ask/help#localResource online FHC director for a nearby family history center.
- Coweta County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Coweta County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Coweta County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Coweta County, Georgia. Page 154 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 24. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 7 October 2015, at 16:18.
- This page has been accessed 17,455 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News