Cowfold, SussexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Cowfold, Sussex ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Windham and Ewhurst|
|Poor Law Union||Cuckfield PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1606|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Lewes|
|Location of Archive|
|Sussex Record Office|
COWFOLD, a parish, in the union of Cuckfield, hundred of Windham and Ewhurst, rape of Bramber, W. division of Sussex, 7 miles (S. S. E.) from Horsham.
Cowfold is an Ancient parish in West Sussex.
See a history of the church Cowfold St Peter
The Parish Church of St Peter has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
This parish was part of Cuckfield registration district from September 1837. see further details To apply for certificates please contact
Centralized Certificates Office
West Sussex Record Office
For the civil registration history see also Horsham registration district
Cowfold, Sussex parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|COWFOLD PARISH (1558) Online Records|
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Cowfold
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474673.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 702-710. Date accessed: 20 September 2013
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 30 December 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Sussex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 3 January 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 22 December 2013.
- ↑ Sussex Online Parish Clerks, accessed 7 January 2014.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 4 November 2014, at 22:39.
- This page has been accessed 2,795 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page