Cranbrook, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Cranbrook, Kent family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Cranbrook St Dunstan Kent
|Poor Law Union||Cranbrook PLU|
|Parish registers: 1553|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1560|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
CRANBROOKE (St. Dunstan), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Cranbrooke, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 7 miles (E.) from Lamberhurst, and 48 (S. E. by E.) from London.
Cranbrook is a small town in the Tunbridge Wells district of Kent, see Cranbrook Wikipedia
Cranbrook St Dunstan is an Ancient Parish within the Diocese of Canterbury Deanery website
The church of St Dunstan, Jockey Lane, Cranbrook has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building and is part of a group of listed monuments.
The church of the Holy Trinity dates from 1837-1838 and is in The Street, Cranbrook and has been designated as a grade II listed building British listed building
This parish was within the Cranbrook registration district.
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Cranbrook, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|MIDK = Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911 - free|
|Cranbrook, Kent Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1559-1881||1559-1732, 1837-1857; 1754-1896 (banns)||1559-1862|
International Genealogical Index:
- Chapel on the Hill Independent Christenings 1786-1836 Batch (C068111)
- General Baptist 1682-1777 (Births) Batch (C091601)
- Milkhouse Wesleyan Christenings 1805-1837 batch (C068121)
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 713-717. Date accessed:22 July 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.
- This page was last modified on 1 June 2014, at 17:37.
- This page has been accessed 4,871 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki