Crawford County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Crawford County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Crawford County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||October 18, 1820|
|County Seat||Van Buren|
|Address|| Crawford County Courthouse|
300 Main Street
Van Buren, AR 72956
Crawford County Courthouse
300 Main Street
Van Buren, AR 72956
County Clerk has marriage and probate records from 1877; Clerk Circuit Court has court and land records from 1877 and divorce records.
It was named in honor of William H. Crawford, President Monroe's Secretary of the Treasury.
Parts of the county were taken for various new counties:
- Washington 27 October 1828
- Pope 2 November 1829
- Scott 5 November 1833
- Franklin 19 December 1837
- Sebastian 5 January 1851
- In 1828, part of the Osage and Cherokee Territory was added to the county.
See an interactive map of Crawford County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
On March 23, 1877, the courthouse was destroyed by fire and all records were destroyed except those of the treasurer and a few deeds and mortgages. Since that date however the records are complete and are kept in fire-proof vaults.
Alma | Cedarville | Chester | Dyer | Kibler | Mountainburg
Mulberry | Natural Dam | Rudy | Uniontown | Van Buren
Crawford County Cemetery Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb Project
Alexander Cemetry, Alma City Cemetery, Bidville Cemetery, Bolton Cemetery, Bryant Cemetery, Dugan Cemetery, Dyer Cemetery,Fairview Cemetery, Gregory Cemetery, Hall Cemetery, Hillcrest Cemetery, Liberty Hill Cemetry, Love Cemetery, Morrison Cemetery, Rudy, New Cemetery, Newberry Chapel Cemetery, Peters Cemetery, Sarah Grove, Steward Cemetery
1830 Census - USGenWeb Archives
US Federal Census Records - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Slave Schedules - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Crawford County Church Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Wills and Probate Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Crawford County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
Biography Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Disaster/Epidemic Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Family Group Sheets Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Crawford County Family Website Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Crawford County Map Index - Crawford Coiunty ARGenWeb
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Crawford County on page 191.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Arkansas section begins on page 439.]
- Pension Rolls - Crawford County ARGenWeb
- United States Colored Troops of Crawford County, Arkansas this site gives history and information on burial and a Headstone Project.
- Men from Crawford County served in the 1st Regiment Arkansas Infantry (Union)
- Men from Crawford County served in the 5th Regiment, Arkansas Militia (Confederate)
- Men from this county served in the 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union).
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Crawford County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Submitted Crawford County Obituaries - USGenWeb Archives Project
Newspaper Article Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Tax Lists - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1877-1951 - Crawford County Marriage Books A-Z, 1-7 Index 1877-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1921 - Crawford County Marriage Books A-I Index 1877-1921 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Crawford County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 276
Alma, AR 72921
Open on Tuesday and Thursday, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
Crawford County Historical Society
929 East Main Street
Van Buren, AR 72956-4317
Northwest Arkansas Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 796
Rogers, AR 72757-0796
Serving the Arkansas Counties of Benton, Carroll, Madison and Washington
Phone:: (501) 273-3890
Arkansas Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 17653
Little Rock, AR 72222
Arkansas Historical Association
416 Old Main, University of Arkansas
History Department - Ozark Hall 12
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Arkansas History Commission One Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201
Trash or Treasure? Phone:
Arkansas Historical Society
422 South Sixth Street
Van Buren, AR 72956
Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society
President, Little Rock Chapter
P.O. Box 4294
Little Rock, Arkansas 72214
Family History Centers
- Crawford County - ARGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Crawford County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Cyndi's List - Arkansas Resources
- USGenWeb Project Archives - Crawford County
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 67.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Arkansas. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of Arkansas, for the period of the late rebellion, and to November 1, 1866, (Bethesda, Maryland: University Publications of America, c1990) FHL fiche 6082312
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), pp. 33-92.FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5c/Igiarkansasad.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 17 May 2013, at 20:26.
- This page has been accessed 2,272 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More