Crittenden County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Crittenden County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Crittenden County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||January 26, 1842|
Crittenden County Kentucky Courthouse
Crittenden County Courthouse
107 S. Main Street Suite 202
Marion, KY 42064
Crittenden County Kentucky History
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1865, 1870--Disasters destroyed most records.
1880 Census--Crittenden County, Kentucky is missing about 1,500 people.
March 28, 1905 - Photo of "The Day After the Fire that Destroyed Much of Marion, Kentucky"
For a list of record loss in Kentucky counties see: Kentucky Counties with Burned Courthouses
Crittenden County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Irma||New Salem||Shady Grove||Weston|
Crittenden County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
Some of the best online Crittenden County cemetery resources are:
- Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- Ken Gilkey list of Crittenden Co., Ky Cemeteries
- Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb (Unmarked Burials)
Additional resources include:
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Crittenden County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Crittenden Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The FamilySearch Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Crittenden County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Crittenden County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Crittenden Co., KY Court Minutes Records 1852-1860
- Crittenden Co., Ky Deeds 1841-1901
- Crittenden Co., Ky Deeds 1847-1857
- Morre Crittenden Co., Ky. Court Records 1852-1860
- Crittenden Co., Court Excercts 1862
- Some Crittenden Court Records 1871-1884
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Fohs Hall Community Arts Foundation and Crittenden County Genealogical Society. Crittenden County, Kentucky History and Families. Marion, Ky.: Riverbend Pub., 1991. FHL Book 976.9893 H2c; Index: FHL Book 976.9893 H2c index
- Rawdon, Rebecca R. Crittenden County Families. West Valley City, Utah: R.R. Rawdon, 1992-. FHL Fiche 6104064
- [Asher] Coldiron, Kara Lee. Asher, a Partial Genealogy. Lincoln, Neb.: K.L. Coldiron, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 As35ck
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp
- [Cruce] Kidwiler, Pauline Cruce. Cruce Family Genealogical Records, 1829-1988 George Washington Cruce (1829-1912) on Down to 1988 as Nearly as Possible. MSS. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1320816 Item 7
- [Lynn] Taylor, Jessie Pope. Lynn, 1788-2000. Salem, Ky.: J.P. Taylor, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 L993; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Newcom] Newcom, Randall Hershel. The Family of Newton N. Newcom. Elizabethtown, Ky.: R.H. Newcom, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 6509
- [Rawlins] Talley, Gloria Jean and Leonard Carey Rawlins. One Family: Rawlings, Rawlins, Rollins. Newburgh, Ind.: First Cousins Family Reunion, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 R199tg
- [Shewmaker] Isakson, Oyjdal Shewmaker Marvel. Shewmaker-Shoemaker, Livingston and Crittenden County, Kentucky. Hobart, Ind.: Isakson, 1967. FHL Film 1320527 Item 8; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Tackwell] Koetting, Patricia G. Lowery and Jerome D. Koetting. Tackwell Genealogy. Rio Rancho, N. Mex.: J.D. and P.G. Koetting, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 T119k; digital version at Family History Archives.
Local histories are available for Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb Rev. War Soldiers
- Richard P'Pool's data base for Crittenden Co., Civil War Soldiers Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- 1912-1950 Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Crittenden Co., Ky. Fallen WW1 Soldiers
- U.S. ARMY & ARMY AIR CORPS CASUALITIES WW II - CRITTENDEN Co., Kentucky, courtesy: USGenWeb Archives
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1833-1968 - Will Books 1 to 3 (1833-1968) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1851-1907 - Crittenden County Birth Index 1851-1907. Batch C517261 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1875 - Crittenden County Birth Index 1873-1875. Batch C517263 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Crittenden County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517262 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1852-1861 - Crittenden County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517261 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Crittenden County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517264 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Crittenden County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517265 at FamilySearch - free.
- Some Crittenden County Ky. marriage Records 1857-1868
- Some mg recs. 1905-1942 Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- Delayed Births from late 1800-1910
- Crittenden Co., Ky Births 1911-1930
- Ky. Death records 1911-2000
- (Some Ky Deaths) Browning Funeral Home Records
- Some Crittenden Co., Ky Death Certs., courtesy: Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- (Some Crittenden Co., KY Bible Records), courtesy: Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb 1860 Mortality
- Ky Vital Records Project
- Crittenden Co., Ky Unmarked Burials, courtesy: Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
Crittenden County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- Crittenden County, Kentucky Library
- Crittenden County Genealogical Society, Inc.
- Crittenden County Historical Society, Inc.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Crittenden County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Crittenden County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Crittenden County, KYGenWeb
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Linkpendium has links to many other sites. It is organized by subjects. Simply click on the name of the site you would like explore.
Crittenden County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Crittenden County, Kentucky page 269, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 27 October 2015, at 04:09.
- This page has been accessed 27,496 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News