Cubert, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Cubert, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Cubert, St Cubert Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||St Columb Major PLU|
|Registration District||St Columb|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
CUBERT (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of St. Columb Major, W. division of the hundred of Pyder and of the county of Cornwall, 10 miles (N. E.) from Truro. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Cubert St Cuthbert (Cornish: Lannowynn) is an ancient parish in Cornwall.
The village is named after the Welsh missionary St Cubert who, as a companion of St Carantoc, brought the Christian faith to this part of Cornwall, and to whom the church is dedicated. Unlike his companion St Carantoc—who travelled on to Brittany--St Cubert returned to Wales becoming abbot of his monastery and, according to the Welsh Chronicles, dying in 775 A.D.
The church and spire were considerably damaged by lightning on Monday, 10th April 1848; they were restored in 1852.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Cubert, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Cubert, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
||1653-1657, 1682-1938|| |
|IGI||1608-1617, 1727-1875||1608-1668, 1682-1875|
Overview, Include information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the FamilySearch Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 43
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241271.
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/a_d/cubert.php
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [county} Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 742-746. Date accessed: 11 March 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 21 November 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 00:05.
- This page has been accessed 1,260 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki