Dade County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Dade County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dade County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 25, 1837|
|Address|| Dade County Courthouse|
PO Box 613
Trenton, GA 30752
Dade County Website
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Dade County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Dade County, Georgia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Dade County, Georgia:
- - 6th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company B
- - 21st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company H
- - 34th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company F
- - 39th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company D
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project ( other war's information is also giving)
- Hughes, Nathaniel Cheairs. 1989. The Civil War comes to Dade County. Rossville, Georgia: Delta Genealogical Society. 975.8342 M29h
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Dade County). 1965. Confederate roster, 1861; Confederate pension roll, 1908-1952; and Confederate Veterans Aid Association minutes, 1889-1898. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Film 422022
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Dade County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Georgia.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Dade County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills and Estates 1884-1886 (digital images). See Names of Testators. Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Appraisements, Inventories, Sales 1853-1877 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Bk A 1903-1948 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Wills, Minutes, Estates, Bk B 1884-1904 Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1866-1902 - Dade County Marriage Books B and C Index 1866-1902. Batch M712621 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-60, 1869-70, 1879-80 - Dade County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Dade County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Dade County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers (S)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Dade County, Georgia. Page 154 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 25. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 13 August, 2012)
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 20 January 2015, at 16:43.
- This page has been accessed 13,706 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More