Dade County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Dade County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dade County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 29, 1841|
|Address|| Dade County Courthouse|
Greenfield, MO 65661
Dade County Website
County Recorder has marriage records from 1867 and land records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce records from 1867; Probate Judge
has probate and court records
- 29 Jan 1841 Dade created from Non-County Area 29 and Non-County Area 32. Non-County Area 29 and Non-County Area 32 eliminated. (Mo. Laws 1840–1841, pub., sec. 10/pp. 33–34)
- 24 Feb 1843 Dade lost to creation of Lawrence; Lawrence not fully organized, parts attached to Barry and DADE "for civil and military purposes." (Mo. Laws 1842–1843, pub., p. 39)
- 14 Feb 1845 Dade lost to creation of Cedar. Lawrence fully organized, detached from Dade. (Mo. Laws 1844–1845, secs. 49–51/p. 37)
Visit the Newberry Library Historical State and County Boundary Maps.
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Center Township
- Marion Township
- North Morgan Township
- Rock Prairie Township
- Sac Township
- South Greenfield
- South Township
- Washington Township
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Family Biographies from The History of Dade County, Missouri (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
For tips on accessing Dade County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Dade County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Dade County Historical Society (Greenfield, Missouri). History of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade, and Barton counties, Missouri present : from the earliest time to the present, including a department devoted to the preservation of sundry personal, business, professional, and private records; besides a valuable fund of notes, original observations, etc., etc.. Chicago, Illinois : Goodspeed Pub. Co., 1889.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Young, A. J. History of Dade County and her people : from the earliest settlements to the present time. Greenfield, Mo. : Pioneer Historical Co., 1917.
- Maps of Missouri (1804-1889)
- Family Maps of Dade County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Dade County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Dade County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Dade County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
- - 6th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- 6th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company E
:- 6th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company L
:- 7th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 7th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company I
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Dade County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Dade County Library has microfilm of extant newspapers published in the County from 1867 forward. This includes communites such as Greenfield, Lockwood and Everton.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1851-1867 - Dade County Birth Index 1851-1867. Batch C514853 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883 - Dade County Birth Index 1883. Batch C514856 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1884 - Dade County Birth Index 1883-1884. Batch C514854 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1863-1876 - Dade County Marriage Index 1863-1876. Batch M514851 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867-1871 - Dade County Marriage Idnex 1867-1871. Batch M514852 at FamilySearch - free.
- Marriage records, Dade County, Missouri at Ancestry.com ($)
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883 - Dade County Death Index 1883. Batch B514855 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1884 - Dade County Death Index 1883-1884. Batch B514857 at FamilySearch - free.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Dade County Genealogy Society
P.O. Box 155
Greenfield, Missouri 65661
Dade County Library
209 South Main Street
Greenfield, Missouri 65661
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Dade County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Dade County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Dade County Message Board|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Dade County, Missouri. Page 399 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 31 January 2015, at 00:56.
- This page has been accessed 12,691 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More