Dallam County, TexasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Dallam County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Dallam County Courthouse
PO Box 1352
Dalhart, TX 79022
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage and court records from 1891, divorce records from 1892,
probate records from 1900 and land records from 1876
Texline was named the county seat when Dallam County was organized in 1891. Ten years later the railroad came, and a new town, Dalhart, sprang up at the railroad crossing. In 1903, Dalhart became the county seat. Dallam County's first courthouse was built in 1891 in Texline. A second courthouse was built in Dalhart in 1903. The county's current courthouse, shown at right, was built in 1923.
Dallam County Courthouse
County & District Clerk - Terri Banks
P.O. Box 1352
Dalhart, Tx. 79022
(806) 244-4751[[Image:]](806) 244-4751
1876--Dallam County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District, but was not organized until 1891. County seat: Dalhart 
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Dalhart (partly in Hartley County) | Kerrick | Perico | Texline
- Freedmen's Bureau Field Office Records, 1865-1870(images) - FamilySearch
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- Dallam County Cemeteries - USGenWeb Tombstone Project
- FindAGrave - transcription and photographs
- Dallam County Cemeteries - TXGenWeb
- Dalhart Churches - TXGenWeb
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
- Original Land Owners of Texas - USGenWeb Archives Project
Local histories are available for Dallam County, Texas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- The Book of Years: A History of Dallam and Hartley Counties, 1969, by Lillie Mae Hunter.
- Hartley County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Confederate Pension Applications - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Dallam County, Texas World War II Casualties Army and Air Force - Access Genealogy
- Heroes of WWII - TXGenWeb
- US Army Company A - 31st Battalion Fort Carson, CO, 21 Nov 1957 to 13 Jan 1958-TXGenWeb
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Dallam County, Texas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Texas, Probate Records, 1800-1990 (images) - FamilySearch
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
Texas County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910 lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. United States Vital Records has additional research guidance on researching and using vital records. See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas or How to order Texas Vital Records
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred, ordered electronically online or download an application for Texas Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Verification Application to mail.
Online Birth Indexes and Records
- Texas, Birth Certificates, 1903-1935 (images and index) - FamilySearch
- Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 (index)- FamilySearch
Original Birth Records on Microfilm
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
- Marriages Dallam County - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Texas County Marriage Records, 1837-1977 - FamilySearch. Index to a variety of marriage records (registers, licenses, intentions to marry, etc.) from select counties in Texas.
- Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973 ~ FamilySearch record collection
- Texas, Marriages, 1966-2010 ~ FamilySearch record collection
Original Marriage Records on Microfilm
Online Death Indexes and Records
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas, Death Index, 1903-2000 (index) - FamilySearch
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
Original Death Records on Microfilm
- Divorces Dallam County - USGenWeb Archives Project
Societies and Libraries
420 Denrock Ave.
Dalhart, TX 79022
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- USGenWebc project - May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- TXGenWeb - transcriptions and photographs
- USGenWeb Archives Project - transcriptions and photographs
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Dallam County, Texas. Page 662 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 15 October 2014, at 20:49.
- This page has been accessed 14,877 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki