Danish Military Levying Rolls (Lægdsruller)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Denmark Military Levying Rolls
In 1788, adscription was repealed and the foundation was laid for a civilian service. This was done by regulation on June 20, 1788. Previously the private landowners had the obligation to provide personnel for the army. After adscription's repeal this responsibility was shifted to the king and the state. There was thus created a direct relationship between the state and the conscripts.
In subsequent years there was an agency created by the government known as a lægdsvæsen to watch over its conscripts. It was important for the government to know how large a force it possessed in case of war. Therefore, it became the state's responsibility to keep detailed records of the male population in lægdsruller.
How to find someone in the levying rolls
| NOTE: There are two types of levying roll records: the Hovedrulle and the Tilgangsrulle. The Hovedrulle is the mail roll listing every eligible male in the parish, and Tilgangsrulle is the supplementary roll listing only those who moved onto or off the rolls since the last main roll was taken. Choose the Hovedrulle to verify that he was in living the parish and eligible for military service. Choose the Tilgangsrulle to verify any changes such as moves, deaths, or male births. "Omskrevet" means "Rewritten".|
For 1864 1931- These rolls are orgainzed by "Kreds" or districts, not by county. There were seven Kreds for Denmark. You need know the Kreds in which your county was located. To see a county map and determine your Kreds number, click on Kom godt i gang med at bruge lægdsruller (on the right side, in red) and then on Læs mere om amter, udskrivningskredse og lægder ( in the center section). Go back to the previous page and click on Lægdsruller (landruller), [your Kreds Number] udskrivningskreds [Year Range]. For Kreds 1 and 2, then click on Læs scannet udgave af arkivserien her.
- Scroll down and find the year you wish to search. There will be several listings for each year, each followed by a number, which is the beginning Lægt number in that group (See note in the box above on whether to choose the Hovedrulle or Tilgangsrulle).
- Then Click on "Læs arkivalier her" in red on that line. Turn the pages of the book using the arrows at the top of the page.
4. Find your lægt number, which is on the upper corner of each right page, listed in chronological order. In the Hovedrulle there are usually about 3-7 pages for each lægt or parish. Search all the pages in that lægt for your ancestor's name with his father or son.
5. Reading the column headings: You will see two numbers to the left of your ancestor's. The first number is his listing number in this year's roll, and the second number is his listing number in the next main roll (Hovedrulle). In the third column will be the names of him and his father, if he is not a father himself. Next is listed his birthplace, then his age, height, and current residence in the parish, followed by any remarks which are usually pertaining to his military service. See the abbreviations list to translate these remarks.
6. If you wish to follow him through to other years (either backward or forward in time), go back to the county list on the left sidebar, choose the next or previous year in the Hovedrulle, find the same lægt number again, and and look for his listing under the numbers that were by his name. To search in the previous roll, the first number by his name will now be in the second column by his name. To search in the following roll, the second number by his name will now be in the first column.
If he moved and changed parishes, his name will be crossed off and there will be a note by his name indicating his new lægt number and listing number in that lægt. Alphabetical letters were assigned to each year, so you can tell whether to search for his listing in the roll of the same year or the next roll.
Tools for using the Lægdsruller
- Registration Area Numbers (Lægdsnummer)
- Letter associated to the year of registration
- Common abbreviations in the Army Lægdsruller.
- FamilySearch Indexing: Denmark, Lægdsruller, 1789-1792
Statens Arkiver. Lægdsruller. Denmark: Landsarkivet for Sjælland Lolland-Falster & Bornholm, 2008
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2015, at 03:43.
- This page has been accessed 14,503 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News