Daviess County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Daviess County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records. Located in the Western Coal Fields region.
|Daviess County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||January 14, 1815|
Daviess County Kentucky Courthouse
212 St Ann Street
Owensboro, KY 42303
Daviess County Kentucky History
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1865--A disaster destroyed some records. For a list of record loss in Kentucky counties see: Kentucky Counties with Burned Courthouses
Daviess County Kentucky Places / Localities
Daviess County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Daviess Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Daviess County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The FamilySearch Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Daviess County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Daviess County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Daviess County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Daviess County, Kentucky Census, 1900 at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
- Daviess County, Kentucky Census, 1920 at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- 1824-1841 - St. Lawrence Catholic Church Baptism Index 1824-1841. Batch C539831 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1831-1841 - St. Lawrence Catholic Church Marriage Index 1831-1841. Batch M539831 at FamilySearch - free.
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- [Bauman] Bauman, William A. Baumann / Bauman Family of Daviess County, Kentucky: Including a Genealogy of the Related DeLashmutt, Elliott, Higdon, Kuhn, Powell, Trammell and Wilkerson Families: With a Summary of Christian Heinrich Baumann's Descendants in the Luttrell, Melhiser, Mercer, Peterson, and Taylor Families. 2011. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Beall] Edgeworth, M.J. Some Descendants of Nathaniel and Eli Beall (Bell), Brothers and Early Settlers of Knottsville Precinct, Daviess County, Kentucky. Donated 1959. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Bransford] Bransford, Clifton Wood. "Jacob Ammonet of Virginia: and a Part of His Descendants," Publications of the Southern History Association, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Jan. 1899):35-40. Digitized by Internet Archive. Copy: FHL Film 1015826 Item 18.
- [Clay] Smith, Zachary F. and Mary Rogers Clay. The Clay Family. Louisville, Ky.: John P. Morton and Company, 1899. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Cottrell] Edgeworth, M.J. Some Descendants of Rev. Reuben Cottrell, Shelby and Daviess Counties, Kentucky. Microfilmed 1968: FHL Film 564126 Item 10.
- [Howard] Hamilton, Anna L. The Genealogy of the Howards of Daviess County, Kentucky and Their Ancestors: English Ancestors, Maryland Emigrants, Kentucky Pioneers, and Early American Catholic Heritage. Whitesville, Ky.: A. Hamilton, 1984. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Shoemaker] Edgeworth, M.J. Some Descendants of Price Allen Shoemaker, Daviess County, Kentucky, 1760-1936. Microfilmed 1987: FHL Film 1321500 Item 28.
Local histories are available for Daviess County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Daviess County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Daviess County, Kentucky:
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry. Companies E and H.
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Diamond's), Companies E and H.
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Johnson's), Companies E and H.
- - 12th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry, Companies A, C, D, E, F, G, H and K.
- - 17th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry, Companies I and K.
- - 35th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry, Companies A, C, D, E, F, G, H and I.
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Daviess County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Daviess County, Kentucky Clerk of Court and are housed at the Daviess County, Kentucky Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1812-1936 - Will Books A to H (1812-1936) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Daviess County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Daviess County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1853-1861 - Daviess County Birth Index 1853-1861. Batch C517281 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Daviess County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517282 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Daviess County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Kentucky Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
Daviess County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Daviess County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
-  USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Davies County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Daviess County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Daviess County, Kentucky page 270, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)
- ↑ May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- ↑ May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2014, at 23:46.
- This page has been accessed 22,923 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More