Davis County, KansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Davis County, Kansas was organized August 25, 1855, organized September 24 1855, but was defunct by February 11 1859. Kansas Historical Society
Davis was one of the original 33 counties created by the first territorial legislature in 1855. It lost territory to Dickinson County in 1857 and to Wabaunsee County in 1860; it gained territory from Dickinson in 1860 and from Riley in 1873. The name was changed in 1889 to Geary; the 1893 attempt to change it back di not work. Kansas Historical Society
The Davis County seat was Junction City. [ http://www.kshs.org/geog/geog_counties/view/county:CU Kansas Historical Society]
Origin of Name
Named for Jefferson Davis (1808-1889).
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county. http://www.kshs.org/geog/geog_counties/view/county:DV
- Family History Library Catalog
- Geary County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- This page was last modified on 18 June 2013, at 14:31.
- This page has been accessed 623 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More