Decatur County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Decatur County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Decatur County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 8, 1823|
|Address|| Decatur County Courthouse|
1400 E Shotwell Street
PO Box 735
Bainbridge, GA 31717-0735
Decatur County Website
Decatur County Courthouse
1400 E Shotwell Street
PO Box 735
Bainbridge, GA 31717-0735
Probate Court has marriage records from 1823 and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1823.
Clerk of Superior Court
P.O. Box 336
112 West Water Street
Bainbridge, GA 39818
Telephone: (229) 248-3025
Fax: (229) 248-3029
Probate Court of Decatur County
P O Box 234
112 W. Water Street
Bainbridge, GA 39818
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Local histories are available for Decatur County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Decatur County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Decatur County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Ramsey's) (Confederate) , Company G
- - 5th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company H
- -17th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company D
- - 31st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company I
- - 50th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company F
- - 59th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company A
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Decatur County). 1961. Muster roll of the First Regiment of Georgia Volunteers, 1861. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Film 249613
- Hageness, MariLee Beatty. 1995. Confederate soldiers and their units, Decatur County, Georgia. [Anniston, Alabama]: MariLee Beatty Hageness. 975.8993 M2h also Film 2055469 item 10
Google Book $
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Decatur County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Decatur County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1828-1838 - Wills 1828-1838 (digital images). See names of Testators Georgia Pioneers $
- 1839-1865 - Wills 1839-1865 (digital images). See names of Testators. Georgia Pioneers $
- 1828-1838 - Wills 1828-1838 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Minute Books A and B (includes some wills) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1828-1838 - Index to Will Book A 1828-1838 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1839-1873 - Index to Will Book B 1839-1873 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1873-1913 - Index to Will Book C 1873-1913 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1828-1833 - Index to Appraisements, Sales, 1828-1833 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1834-1848 - Index to Journal (estates) 1834-1848 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1835-1850 - Index to Annual Returns 1835-1850 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1829-1837 - Index to Vouchers, Returns 1829-1837 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785-1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808-1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828-1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699-1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1885-1886 (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1824-1841 Index to Decatur County Marriage Licenses 1824-1841(Grooms) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1837-1869 Index to Decatur County Marriage Licenses 1837-1869 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1868-1896 Index to Decatur County Marriage Licenses 1868-1896 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1824-1841 - Decatur County Marriage Book AA Index 1824-1841. Batch M712651 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1837-1869 - Decatur County Marriage Book A Index 1837-1869. Batch M712652 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1895 - Decatur County Marriage Book B Index 1868-1895. Batch M712653 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1895 - Decatur County Marriage Book D Index 1895. Batch M712654 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1933-1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914-1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928-1939 Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1859-60, 1879-80 - Decatur County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry $
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Decatur County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 7387
Decatur County Historical Society
P.O. Box 682
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Decatur County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- US GenWeb Decatur County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Decatur County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers $
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Decatur County, Georgia. Page 154 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "List of counties in Tennessee", Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 26. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 13 November 2015, at 01:29.
- This page has been accessed 17,651 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News