Decatur County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Decatur County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Decatur County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 8, 1823|
|Address|| Decatur County Courthouse|
1400 E Shotwell Street
PO Box 735
Bainbridge, GA 31717-0735
Decatur County Website
Decatur County Courthouse
1400 E Shotwell Street
PO Box 735
Bainbridge, GA 31717-0735
Probate Court has marriage records from 1823 and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1823.
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Local histories are available for Decatur County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Decatur County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills 1828-1838 (digital images). See names of Testators Georgia Pioneers
- Wills 1839-1865 (digital images). See names of Testators. Georgia Pioneers $
- Wills 1828-1838 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers$
- Index to Minute Books A and B (includes some wills) Georgia Pioneers$
- Index to Will Book A 1828-1838 Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Will Book B 1839-1873 Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Will Book C 1873-1913 Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Appraisements, Sales, 1828-1833 Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Journal (estates) 1834-1848 Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Annual Returns 1835-1850 Georgia Pioneers $Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Vouchers, Returns 1829-1837
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1885-1886 (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Decatur County Marriage Licenses 1824 to 1841 (Grooms) Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Decatur County Marriage Licenses 1837-1869 Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Decatur County Marriage Licenses 1868-1896 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1824-1841 - Decatur County Marriage Book AA Index 1824-1841. Batch M712651 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1837-1869 - Decatur County Marriage Book A Index 1837-1869. Batch M712652 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1895 - Decatur County Marriage Book B Index 1868-1895. Batch M712653 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1895 - Decatur County Marriage Book D Index 1895. Batch M712654 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-60, 1879-80 - Decatur County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Decatur County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Decatur County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers$
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Decatur County, Georgia. Page 154 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "List of counties in Tennessee", Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 26. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:22.
- This page has been accessed 10,702 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki