Denham St John (near Eye), Suffolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Denham St John (near Eye), Suffolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
DENHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union and hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (E.) from Eye.
|Denham St John|
If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries; however , for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Denham St John (near Eye) and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
Denham St John (near Eye), Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|1813 = Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) (findmypast) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Denham St John (near Eye), Suffolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
The Parish Registers begin in 1708. They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office. A copy of the registers from 1708 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are missing for Denham. See Suffolk Church Record for further details.
There are census records available for Denham St John from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Denham Census in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Denham St John was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other things of interest.
- National Gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Denham on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 28-32. Adapted. Date accessed: 14 March 2014 .
- ↑ 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Suffolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 10 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 28-32. Date accessed: 24 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 22:41.
- This page has been accessed 3,104 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More