Deuel County, South DakotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Deuel County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Deuel County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 5, 1862|
|County Seat||Clear Lake|
Deuel County Courthouse
PO Box 125
Clear Lake, SD 57226
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1876, death
records from 1905 and burial records from 1941; County
Treasurer has marriage records from 1887; Clerk
Court has divorece and probate records from 1889 and
court records from 1880
1862--Deuel County was created 5 April 1862 from unorganized territory.
County seat: Clear Lake 
- Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota
- Lincoln County, Minnesota
- Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about South Dakota denominations, view the South Dakota Church Records wiki page.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Brandt, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
East Highland Lutheran Church, Brandt
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Deuel County, South Dakota. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Deuel County, South Dakota newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in South Dakota, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for South Dakota, Deuel then click Probate records.
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Deuel County, South Dakota, p.624
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:17.
- This page has been accessed 5,110 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki