Devonshire County, MaineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Devonshire County, Massachusetts (now Maine) was created as a result of the Third Dutch-Anglo War, in 1673 when Massachusetts claimed New York's former Cornwall County in present-day Maine from the Atlantic coast to the Quebec border. In 1674 Massachusetts created a split-off called Devonshire County between the Kennebec River and Penobscot Bay in what is now Maine.   
During King Philip's War in 1675 the Abanaki Indians attacked white settlements in both Devonshire County and the remaining part of Cornwall County. Both counties were abandoned and lost to the Indians. 
For information about residents of Devonshire County 1674-1675 (now in Maine), try searching records of:
- New England Historic Genealogical Society
- Maine State Archives
- county records of the present-day Maine county which now includes the former Devonshire County land where a white ancestor lived 1674-1675.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wikipedia contributors, "Devonshire County, District of Maine, Massachusetts Bay Colony" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devonshire_County,_District_of_Maine,_Massachusetts_Bay_Colony (accessed 27 June 2012).
- ↑ William D. Williamson, History of the State of Maine, from its First Discovery, A.D. 1602, to the Separation, A.D. 1820, Inclusive, 2 vols. (Hallowell, Maine: Glazier, Masters and Co., 1832), 1:443. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Film 1550114.
- ↑ John G Reid, Maine, Charles II and Massachusetts: Governmental Relationships in Early Northern New England, Maine Historical Society Research Series Number 1 ((Portland, Maine: Maine Hist. Soc., 1977), 138. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ Massachusetts. Records of the Governor and Company of the Massachusetts Bay in New England (Boston: White, 1854), 5: 16. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Fiche 6046893 (38 fiche); Book 974.4 N2s.
- ↑ Williamson, 1: 446.
- This page was last modified on 19 June 2013, at 02:36.
- This page has been accessed 1,595 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki