Diocese of CarlisleEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Diocese of Carlisle|
|Archdeaconries||Carlisle, West Cumberland, Westmorland and Furness|
|Bishops Court||Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
Created in 1133 out of part of the Diocese of Durham, the diocese originally only covered the northern parts of Cumberland and Westmorland. The diocese expanded to cover the entirety of these, as well as the Furness and Cartmel areas of Lancashire, in 1847, from part of the Diocese of Chester, although this did not take effect until 1856.
The present area of the diocese covers:
- Cumbria (except Alston Moor, Sedbergh, Garsdale and Dent.)
Archdeaconries and deaneries
- the Archdeaconry of Carlisle
- comprises the Deaneries of Carlisle; Appleby; Brampton; and Penrith
- the Archdeaconry of West Cumberland
- comprises the Deaneries of Calder; Derwent; and Solway
- the Archdeaconry of Westmorland and Furness
- comprises the Deaneries of Barrow; Furness; Kendal; and Windermere
- This page was last modified on 2 July 2012, at 16:54.
- This page has been accessed 395 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page