District of Columbia, Glenwood Cemetery Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: District of Columbia, Glenwood Cemetery Records, 1878-2013 .
This collection will include records from 1878-2013.
This collection includes images of the Glenwood Cemetery records, a historic cemetery located on Lincoln Road NE in Washington, D.C. This collection is being published as images become available.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for District of Columbia, Gle...metery Records, 1854-2013.|
These records usually contain the following:
- Name of deceased
- Date interred
- Name of undertaker
- Location of grave
- Cause of death
- Book, page and jacket number of burial record
- Death date
- Birth date
- Permit and grave details
- Name of informant
How to Use the Record
To begin your search you will need to know the following:
- The person’s name
- The approximate burial or death date
Search the Collection
To search the collection
⇒ Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the appropriate "Cemetery" which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Using the Information
Once you have located your ancestor’s burial record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Burial records are often brief so it can be easy confuse individuals. Compare what information is given with what you already know about your ancestor to make sure it is the correct person.
Next, look at the pieces of information given in the burial record for new information. Add any new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the book, page and jacket number to find the actual burial record at the cemetery.
- Use the birth date or year to search for birth records.
- Use the birth date along with relative’s names to find the family in census records.
- Use the locality and relative’s names to locate church and land records.
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral records which often include the names and residences of other family members.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have been buried in the same cemetery or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- The cemetery these records are from still exists today. Family members of those found in the records who died after the records were written may also be interred in this cemetery. Glenwood Cemetery maintains a website with additional information on those later burials.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby cemeteries.
|FHL Keyword District of Columbia, Glenwood items or FHL Place United States, District of Columbia, Glenwood items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see District of Columbia Archives and Libraries.|
- Glenwood Cemetery
- BillionGraves page for this cemetery. All the records on this site, inscriptions of the headstones in the cemetery, will also appear in the BillionGraves Index (FamilySearch Historical Records) on FamilySearch. Burials through most of 2012 will be found in this index.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical CollectionsCitations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the “Show Citation” box:
| This section is incomplete.
You can help by adding content.
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for District of Columbia, Gle...metery Records, 1854-2013.|
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- “Collection Title.” Index or Index and Images or Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing [Author]. [Archive name, Archive location.]
- “District of Columbia, Glenwood Cemetery Records, 1878-2013” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Glenwood Cemetery, Washington D.C.
- This page was last modified on 9 July 2014, at 14:42.
- This page has been accessed 1,316 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback