Dodge County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Dodge County Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dodge County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1855|
|Address|| Dodge County Courthouse|
22 East 6th Street
Mantorville, MN 55955
Dodge County Website
Clerk District Court has birth, death, divorce and court records from 1870,
marriage records from 1865, probate records from 1858 and school records from 1917. 
- 1855--Dodge County was created 20 February 1855 from Rice County and unorganized territory.
County seat: Mantorville 
- For a brief history of how Dodge County was named, click here. Then select Dodge County.
Ashland Township | Canisteo Township | Claremont Township | Concord Township | Ellington Township | Hayfield Township | Mantorville Township | Milton Township | Ripley Township | Vernon Township | Wasioja Township | Westfield Township
- List of Dodge County Cemeteries - no databases
- Concord Cemetery (Concord) - Findagrave
- Fairview Cemetery (Hayfield) - Findagrave
- Maple Grove Cemetery (Kasson) - Findagrave
- Evergreen Cemetery (Mantorville) - Findagrave
- Riverside Cemetery (Wasioja) - Findagrave
- Rice Lake Cemetery (Claremont Township) - USGENWEB
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Cedar Creek Lutheran Church, Hayfield
- 1879-1920 - Records of Cedar Creek Lutheran Church, Hayfield, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
East (Byron) and West St. Olaf Congregations
- Records of East and West St. Olaf Lutheran Congregations, Olmsted and Dodge Counties, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. John's Lutheran Church, Kasson
- 1876-1941 - Records of St. John's Lutheran Church, Kasson, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Dodge – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Dodge County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Dodge County Pioneer Certificates An in-progress site of rosters of settlers who were county residents by 1875, giving vital information on each.
- Dodge County History Narrative
- Ole & Lena: the genealogy and local history of a Norwegian settlement (Dodge and Olmsted counties in Minnesota)
- Dodge, Olmsted Minnesota Norwegians
Civil War service men from Dodge County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Dodge County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Company M.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Company K.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company E.
- - 5th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - 10th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company B.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Dodge County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
- Dodge County Historical Society
- Kasson Public Library
16 First Avenue NW
Kasson, MN 55944
- Dodge Center Public Library
13 First Avenue NW
Dodge Center, MN 55927
- West Concord Public Library
180 Main Street
West Concord, MN 55985
Family History Centers
- Dodge County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Dodge County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Dodge County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Dodge County, Minnesota page 363, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2014, at 21:35.
- This page has been accessed 10,966 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page