Donaldsonville, LouisianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Donaldsonville is the parish seat of Ascension Parish, Louisiana, United States.
Acadians began to settle in the area in 1765 and Spanish Isleños also settled here. In 1772 when the territory was under Spanish rule, the militia constructed La Iglesia de la Ascensión de Nuestro Señor Jesucristo de Lafourche de los Chetimaches (the Ascension of Our Lord Catholic Church of Lafourche of the Chitimaches) to serve the area. The region returned later to French control and then was part of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 by the United States.
Donaldsonville is named after landowner William Donaldson. In 1806 Donaldson commissioned architect and planner Barthelemy Lafon to plan a new town. This served briefly as the Louisiana capital (1830–1831) after New Orleans was deemed "too noisy".
Records and Resources
- City of Donaldsonville
- Donaldsonville Area Chamber of Commerce
- N2 - Genealogy Resources, Ascension Parish
- This page was last modified on 21 September 2011, at 23:18.
- This page has been accessed 652 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page