Dorset Civil RegistrationEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The mandatory civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths in Dorset was introduced on 1 July 1837 and it was throughout England. The registration districts were organised based on poor law unions. Records are held in the Dorset Record Office.
Civil Registration Districts in Dorset
- Beaminster - included Somerset parishes
- Sherborne - included Somerset parishes that were later transferred to Dorset
In 1837 some Dorset parishes were included in registration districts organised in neighbouring counties
- Axminster - included Dorset parishes that were later transferred to Devon
- Chard - included Dorset parishes that were later transferred to Somerset
- Wambrook transferred to Somerset in 1895
- Mere - included Dorset parishes
- Wincanton - included Dorset parishes
- This page was last modified on 15 May 2014, at 17:18.
- This page has been accessed 951 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki