Douglas County, KansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Douglas County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Douglas County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 30, 1855|
|Address|| Douglas County Courthouse|
111 E. 11th Street
Lawrence, Kansas 66044
Douglas County Courthouse
111 E 11th;
Lawrence, KS 66044
Clerk Discharge Court has probate and court records from 1863
naturalization records 1867-1953. Registrar of Deeds has land records.
Spencer Research Lib has marriage 1863-1912. 
1855--Douglas County was created 30 August 1855 as an original county. County seat: Lawrence 
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Douglas County, Kansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
Plat Book and Complete Survey of Douglas County, Kansas, 1909 including township and town maps with land owners. Published by Albert W. Armstrong. Available on Kansas Memory.
Early migration routes to and from Douglas County, Kansas for European and African American settlers included:
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Douglas County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Kansas.
- Men from Douglas county enlisted in the 1st Infantry Regiment, Company A and 20th Regiment, Company H.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Douglas County, Kansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Douglas and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Societies and Libraries
Spencer Research Library—Kansas Collections (includes Douglas County Records)
University of Kansas
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045-7616
Phone: (785) 864-4334
Watkins Community Museum of History
1047 Massachusetts Street
Lawrence, KS 66044
Phone: (785) 841-4109
Kansas Historical Society
6425 SW Sixth Avenue
Topeka, KS 66615-1099
Phone: (785) 272-8681
Fax: (785) 272-8682
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project: Douglas County, Kansas. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Douglas County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Douglas County, Kansas page 250 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August, 2012)
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 00:30.
- This page has been accessed 9,891 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki