Drayton Bassett, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Drayton Bassett, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Drayton Bassett, Staffordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Tamworth PLU|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1664|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
DRAYTON-BASSETT (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Tamworth, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 2¾ miles (S. S.W.) from Tamworth.Drayton Bassett is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire, a portion of the extensive parish includes a part of Warickshire.
|Part of this parish is in Warwickshire. See also Drayton Bassett, Warwickshire.|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD have indexes for births. Due to March 2011 reorganisation of the registration service for South Staffordshire districts the historical registration indexes for this district may have been located at the Newcastle under Lyme registration district or Cannock Registration Offices and applications for certificates need to be directed there. Please refer to the "Updates" page of Staffordshire BMD for further information.
Drayton Bassett parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|DRAYTON BASSETT PARISH (1559) Online Records|
Drayton Bassett St Peter deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1559-1943 Mar 1559-1998 Bur 1559-1889
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1664-1889 Mar 1664-1881 Bur 1664-1881 Missing bap/bur 1854-1855, 1878 Marr missing 1836-1875, 1878
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Drayton Bassett, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474615.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 88-91. Date accessed: 30 October 2012.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 22 August 2014, at 00:30.
- This page has been accessed 4,464 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki