Durham County, North CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a county in North Carolina. For other uses, see Durham (disambiguation).
Guide to Durham County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Durham County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Durham County Courthouse
200 East Main Street
Durham, NC 27707
County Health Department has birth, death and burial records
Register of Deeds has marriage and land records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1881
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
Archives and Libraries
- Durham County Cemeteries - via Durham County NCGenWeb
- Durham County Cemetery Listings - via Durham County NCGenWeb Archives
- Durham County Cemeteries - user-contributed burial records via Find-A-Grave
- Durham County Burial Listings - via CemeteryCensus, a group cemetery transcription project
For tips on accessing Durham County, North Carolina census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Widow's Dower & Year's Support 1881-1944 - included in NC County Records Collections
- Durham County Directories -- via Durham County NCGenWeb
- Durham County students at North Carolina colleges - a list alphabetized by surname from the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- Durham County Deeds, 1881-1984 -can be searched online at the website of the Durham County Register of Deeds; images included.
- Durham County Maps - via the University of North Carolina's NC Maps collection
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Carolina Times - 400+ issues available online from 1937-1950 of ths African-American newspaper; provided by DigitalNC.org
- Index to the Durham Herald
- Durham County newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county & libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress.
- 1881-1907 - Will Books A to B (1881-1907) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Register of Deeds. Please visit their website for more information.
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state; via FamilySearch
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - search this database of marriages from across the state - images included; via FamilySearch
- Durham County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- 1881-1951 - Durham County Marriage Books 1-6 Index 1881-1951 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Misc. Durham County Obituaries - via the Durham County NCGenWeb Archives
- Deaths from 1981-1984 - check the Indexes to the Durham Herald in the newspaper category above
- Durham County deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - search a statewide collection of freely available death certificates - images are included; via FamilySearch
- North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - search death records from across the state; via FamilySearch
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Durham County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- NCGenWeb: Durham County - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Durham County, North Carolina. Page 508 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 17 December 2014, at 17:42.
- This page has been accessed 14,279 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page