Duval County, Florida GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Duval County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Duval County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||August 12, 1822|
Duval County, Florida Record Dates
Duval County Courthouse
330 E Bay Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and
land records from 1921.
County Judge has marriage and probate records. 
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Florida counties see: Florida Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
Biographies at Duval Co, FLGenWeb
Acosta, William I. (see Scott & Acosta below)
Baker & Holmes (Baker, John D. & Holmes, J. Dobbin) - pp. 156-157
Baldwin, Dr. A. S. - pp. 148-150
Bryan, Captain James A. - pp. 184-185
Buckman, Henry H. - pp. 152-153
Campbell, A. B. - p. 163
Campbell. J. R. (Jeremiah Rockwell) - pp. 165-166
Carter, William R. - p. 161
Clark, Harrison W. - pp. 169-171
Coachman, Walter F. - p. 185
Da Costa, Charles W. - p. 172
Des Rochers, J. M. (John Mowbray) - p. 183
Doggett, John L. - p. 152
Driscoll, Captain W. J. (William J.) - pp. 181-182
Fleming, Ex-Governor (Francis P. Fleming) - pp. 151
Fletcher, Hon. D. U. (Duncan U.) - pp. 183-184
Greeley, Hon. J. C. (Jonathan C.) - pp. 180-181
Harkisheimer, Major William J. - p. 153-155
Hartridge, Augustus G. - p. 177
Hartridge, Hon. John E. - pp. 175-176
Hawthorne, F. W. - see Journals and Journalists
Knight, Raymond D. - pp. 161-162
Livingston, C. O. (Charles Ondis) - pp. 174-175
Mattair, Captain L. H. (Lewis Henry) - pp. 182-183
McMurray, Hon. P. E. - pp. 157-158
Merrill, A. R. (Alexander R.) - p. 173
Merrill, J. E. (James Eugene) - p. 173
Metcalf, Lorrettus S. - pp. 186-188
Phillips, Judge Henry B. - pp. 155-156
Schumacher, James M. - pp. 158-160
Scott & Acosta (Scott, John R. & Acosta, William I.) - pp. 168-169
Scott, John R. (see Scott & Acosta above)
Stevens, A. D. (Arthur D.) - p. 174
Stillman, John E. - p. 188
Stockton Family, The - pp. 177-179
Stockton, Thomas T. - pp. 179-180
Towns, Charles B. - pp. 165-168
Turner, Major M. P. (Michael P.) - p. 165
Ware, William S. - pp. 163-165
Wurts, John - p. 160
- Arlington Cemetery, Jacksonville
- Evergreen Cemetery, Jacksonville
- Mandarin Cemetery, Mandarin
- Riverside Memorial Park, Jacksonville
Findagrave.com lists over 130 cemeteries in Duval County, Florida
For tips on accessing Duval County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
The 1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Panama Park
Cities and Towns
Cities and Towns of Duval Co, FLGenWeb
Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville,Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Duval County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
British West Florida at Duval Co, FLGenWeb
History of Duval Co, FLGenWeb
The Book of Jacksonville: a history, Brown, S. Paul, 1895
City Officials, 1893-95
Government Building, The
Journals and Journalists
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Duval County:
Map showing Civil War battles in Florida.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Duval County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Duval County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Duval County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1900 - 1921 Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1877 - 1998 Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1837 - 1974 Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1830 - 1993 Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1823-1927 - Duval County Marriage Books 1-45 Index 1823-1927 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Duval County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Duval County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Duval County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Duval County, Florida. Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 26 June 2012).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 15 July 2015, at 20:09.
- This page has been accessed 17,358 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News