East Barming, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to East Barming, Kent family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|East Barming, Kent|
St Margaret Barming Kent
|Poor Law Union||Maidstone PLU|
|Parish registers: 1541|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1716|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
BARMING (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and hundred of Maidstone, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 2½ miles (W. by S.) from Maidstone.
Barming is a civil parish in the Maidstone District of Kent see Barming Wikipedia
East Barming is an Ancient Parish; the village of Barming originally had two parish churches and these are mentioned in the Domesday survey. The church at West Barming closed in the 16th century and was absorbed into Nettlestead, Kent parish and the Norman church of St Margaret East Barming served the rest of the village and civil parish of Barming. East Barming North West Kent Family History Society East Barming St Margaret
The civil parish of West Barming was united with it in 1934. see West Barming North West Kent Family History Society
See Edward Hasted East Barming The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 4 (1798), pp. 383-392 at British History Online and West Barming The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 4 (1798), pp. 392-397 at British History Online
Kent Churches website St Margaret East Barming
This parish was within the Maidstone Registration district See Maidstone Registration District
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
East Barming, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|East Barming, Kent Parish Online Records|
||1541-1837; 1754-1823 (Banns)||
|FS PRs||1541-1900||1541-1900; 1754-1900 (banns)||1541-1900|
Parish records on microfilm
- Parish registers for Barming, 1541-1951
- Parish chest records for Barming, 1541-1910
- Bishop's transcripts of Barming, 1716-1903
- Land tax assessments for Barming, 1780-1832
Images for Barming available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1832
Family History Library microfilms Census returns for Barming 1851-1891
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England,(1848), pp. 145-148. Date accessed: 1 July 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish banns', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 12 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 3 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 28 May 2014, at 15:17.
- This page has been accessed 4,499 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki