East Coker, SomersetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to East Coker, Somerset family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|East Coker, Somerset|
St Michael's church East Coker Somerset
|Hundred||Houndsborough, Barwick and Coker|
|Poor Law Union||Yeovil PLU|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
COKER, EAST (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Houndsborough, Barwick, and Coker, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Yeovil, containing the hamlet of North Coker. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
East Coker, Somerset parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|EAST COKER PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474599.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any additional relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 13 September 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 3 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Somerset Marriages', FindMyPast (WayBack Machine), accessed 29 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 3 August 2014, at 14:23.
- This page has been accessed 3,035 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki