East Harlsey, YorkshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|East Harlsey, Yorkshire|
|Poor Law Union||Northallerton PLU|
|Parish registers: 1693|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1625|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
HARSLEY, EAST, a parish, in the union of North-Allerton, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 6¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Northallerton; containing 393 inhabitants. 
East Harlsey St Oswald is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire. Other places in the parish include: Deepdale, Siddle, New Sawcock, and Mount Grace. In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Harlsey like this:
HARLSEY (EAST), a village and a parish in Northallerton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles SE of Welbury r. station, and 5½ NE by N of Northallerton; and has a post-office under Northallerton, The parish includes also the ville of Mount Grace, and comprises 2,802 acres. Real property, £4,113. Pop., 430. Houses, 92. The property is much subdivided. Harlsey Hall is a chief residence. Freestone and ironstone exist, but are not worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £200.* Patron, J. Beaumont, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and has a bell-tower. Ruins of a Carthusian priory, founded in 1396 by the Duke of Surrey, are at Mount Grace; and remains of a Lady Chapel, founded in 1515, are on a neighboring eminence.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online data content from chapelry registers of East Harlsey exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|IARC = Archive.org|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|ANC = ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk|
|EAST HARLSEY PARISH (1693) Online Records|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Warrington-Padgate Christ Church and comprising the whole ancient parish of East Harlsey to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the EAST HARLSEY PARISH page.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in 1693.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464227.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 27 June 2014, at 15:15.
- This page has been accessed 1,451 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki