East Looe, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to East Looe, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|East Looe, Cornwall|
|Poor Law Union||Liskeard PLU|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
LOOE, EAST, a sea-port and incorporated market town, having separate jurisdiction, in the parish of St. Martin, union of Liskeard, locally in the hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall, 16 miles (W.) from Plymouth, and 232 (W. S. W.) from London. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, and Wesleyans. 
East Looe St Martin
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
East Looe, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|COPC = Cornwall Online Parish Clerks - free|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010 (FamilySearch) - free|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|East Looe, Cornwall Online Parish Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 127
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241274.
Overview, Include any unique information, such as the census for X year were destroyed, Collection in FHL and link to catalog, Online sites.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction for this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records for the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 175-179. Date accessed: 23 March 2013
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013. Ambiguously described as 'Looe.'
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 22 May 2014.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 06:22.
- This page has been accessed 1,353 times.