East Malling, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to East Malling, Kent family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|East Malling, Kent|
East Malling St James the Great Kent
|Poor Law Union||Malling PLU|
|Parish registers: 1570|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1670|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of Arches, Croydon and Shoreham; Post-1844 - Search the courts of surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
MALLING, EAST (St. James), a parish, in the union of Malling, hundred of Larkfield, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 4¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Maidstone. 
East Malling and Larkfield is a civil parish in the Tonbridge and Malling district of Kent East Malling and Larkfield Wikipedia and contains two ecclesiastical parishes
East Malling St James is an Ancient Parish which included the hamlet of Larkfield (formerly known as new Hythe)
The parish church of St James, The Grange, East Malling has been designated as grade I listed building British listed building
See East Malling North West Kent Family History Society which includes other places of worship in East Malling and East Malling St James
Larkfield Holy Trinity which dates from 1854 and served initially as a chapel of ease to East Malling St James
This parish was from 1837 in the Malling registration district
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
East Malling, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|East Malling, Kent Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1570-1899||1570-1756, 1813-1875; 1754-1814||1570-1876|
Images for East Malling are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 216-221. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 4 June 2014, at 14:00.
- This page has been accessed 2,737 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki