Edgmond, ShropshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Edgmond, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Newport PLU|
|Parish registers: 1669|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1673|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
EDGMOND (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Newport, Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Shropshire, 1¾ mile (W.) from Newport; comprising the townships of Adney, Caynton, Cherrington, Chetwynd-Aston, Edgmond, and part of Pickstock, with the chapelries of Church-Aston and Tibberton. There are chapels of ease at Aston and Tibberton; also two places of worship for dissenters in the parish. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Edgmond parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|EDGMOND PARISH (1669) Online Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1673-1879 Marr 1673-1845 Bur 1673-1848
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474581.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 144-147. Date accessed: 08 June 2012.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 24 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 22:00.
- This page has been accessed 1,489 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page