Edmonson County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Edmonson County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Edmonson County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||January 12, 1825|
Edmonson County Kentucky Courthouse
Edmonson County Kentucky History
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Kentucky counties see: Kentucky Counties with Burned Courthouses
Edmonson County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Asphalt||Cub Run||Oak Ridge||Segal|
|Cedar Spring||Nash||Rocky Hill||Woodside|
Edmonson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
- The USGENWEB project for Edmonson county has a listing of cemeteries which also include transcriptions of the tombstones. See http://www.kygenweb.org/edmonson/cemetery/index.html
- Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Edmonson Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Edmonson County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The FamilySearch Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Edmonson County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Edmonson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Edmonson County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- [Sturdivant] Dorman, John Frederick. Adventurers of Purse and Person Virginia 1607-1624/5. 3 vols. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005. See Volume 2. FHL Book 975.5 H2j v. 2.
Local histories are available for Edmonson County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Edmonson County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Edmonson County, Kentucky Clerk of Court and are housed at the Edmonson County, Kentucky Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1826-1979 - Will Books 1 to 4 (1826-1979) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Edmonson County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Edmonson County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1859 - Edmonson County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517291 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1875 - Edmonson County Birth Index 1874-1875. Batch C517292 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Edmonson County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517293 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Edmonson County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517291 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Edmonson County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517294 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Edmonson County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517295 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Edmonson county page for the USGENWEB project has an Birth index at http://www.kygenweb.org/edmonson/births/index.html
They also have a Marriage index with both a bride index and a groom index at http://www.kygenweb.org/edmonson/marriages/index.html
They also have a death index at http://www.kygenweb.org/edmonson/deaths/index.html but it appears to be an extraction of the Edmonson county deaths from the whole Kentucky Death Index 1911 - 2000 available at: http://vitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ky/death/search.cgi
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Edmonson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Kentucky Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
Edmonson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Edmonson County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb Project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Edmonson County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Edmonson County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Edmonson County, Kentucky page 270, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2014, at 23:46.
- This page has been accessed 15,089 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page