El Paso County, ColoradoEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to El Paso County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|El Paso County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||November 1, 1861|
|County Seat||Colorado Springs|
|Address|| El Paso County Courthouse|
]27 E. Vermijo Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903-2208
El Paso County Website
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1861
and military discharge records from 1919; Clerk District
Court has divorce and probate records; County Court
has Court Records
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
Colorado Springs 
- Colorado Springs City Cemetery Page - Includes a burial search (requires registration)
- Evergreen Cemetery 1005 S. Hancock Avenue, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80903
Office Hours: 8 a.m-5 p.m. Monday through Friday, Saturday 8 a.m. - Noon | Phone: (719) 578-6646 | Fax: (719) 578-6077
- Fairview Cemetery 1000 S. 26th Street, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80904
Office Hours: 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Saturday by appointment | Phone: (719) 578-6638
Gate hours for visitation: Summer (Mid April through Mid October) 6 a.m. - 8 p.m. | Winter (Mid October through Mid April) 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- The Shrine of Remembrance Mausoleum (BillionGraves) in Colorado Springs is a smaller cemetery, on Fountain Blvd along with two funeral homes.
- Tombstone Inscriptions of El Paso County, Colorado, is a publication completed in 2002 by members of the Pikes Peak Genealogical Society. It includes information on all known burial sites in the county, maps, sexton records where available, and inscriptions.
For tips on accessing El Paso County, Colorado census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
- Records of Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Colorado Springs, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
El Paso County Old Age Pension Records 1933-1936. An Index compiled from the offical record of the applications granted by the El Paso County Commissioners during these years. Record may show the following:
- Name of Applicant
- Date and Amount of pension payment
- Any adjustments to the pension
- Person's age
- Town nearest to where they lived
- Other Actions done by the County
- Colorado Springs City Directories, 1879-1922, OCR'd copies made by members of the Pikes Peak Genealogical Society and hosted by the Pikes Peak Library District website; all extant editions included except 1913 and 1918, which are currently being corrected. Many directories include surrounding towns, including Manitou and Colorado City.
- 1940 Telephone Directory, for Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs, Cripple Creek and Victor, Drennan, Fountain, Cascade, Chipita Park, Green Mountain Falls, Woodland Park, and Yoder. Residential listings only
Local histories are available for El Paso County, Colorado. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Colorado Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Current El Paso County, Colorado, property owners may be searched by name or address at the El Paso County Assessor's website.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Pikes Peak NewsFinder, provided by Pikes Peak Library District's Special Collections, contains citations to local news articles and obituaries from the Colorado Springs Gazette and Gazette-Telegraph from January 1872 to the present and other local newspapers. Free copies of articles are available online from PPLD. Ongoing project with additional sources being indexed.
Pikes Peak NewsFinder contains citations to obituaries from the Colorado Springs Gazette and Gazette-Telegraph from January 1872 to the present and other local newspapers, including the Colorado Springs Sun and the Free Press. Free copies of articles are available online from PPLD.
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for El Paso County, Colorado in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments 1936 - 1942
Divorce Index 1880 - 1939
Horseshoers 1897 - 1920
Mine Accidents, Non - fatal 1883 - 1900
Vietnam Deaths 1966, 1968 El Paso County Civil District Court 1946 - 1961
El Paso County Divorce 1903 - 1941
El Paso County Old Age Pension 1933 - 1936
El Paso County Placer Mine Location Certificates 1892 - 1942
El Paso County Probates 1880 - 1969)
El Paso County School Census Dist. 3 1911
El Paso County School Census Dist.11 (Colo. Spgs.) 1910, 1920
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- [[Calham Colorado Family History Center|
- Colorado Springs Colorado Family History Center
- Colorado Springs Colorado East Family History Center
- Colorado Springs Colorado North Family History Center
- Fountain Colorado Family History Center (Colorado Springs)
Pikes Peak Regional Library. Special Collections contains extensive resources for research into the history of the Pikes Peak region, including books, maps, manuscripts and archives, photographs, oral histories, films, government documents, periodicals and much more.
Pikes Peak Library District
Penrose Library (main) & Special Collections (genealogy, local history)
20 North Cascade Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Telephone: (719) 531-6333
Tutt Library, Special Collections, Colorado College, Colorado Springs
9475 Briar Village Pt, Ste 100
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
Telephone: (719) 260-6882
Cheyenne Mountain Library
1785 S 8th St, Ste 100
Colorado Springs, CO 80905
Telephone: (719) 633-6278
5550 N Union Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
Telephone: (719) 531-6333
230 S Main St
Fountain, CO 80817
Telephone: (719) 382-5347
High Prairie Library
7035 Old Meridian Rd
Peyton, CO 80831
3337 Cinema Pt
Colorado Springs, CO 80922
Unmanned location with a vending machine
701 Manitou Ave
Manitou Springs, CO 80829
Telephone: (719) 685-5206
1706 Lake Woodmoor Dr
Monument, CO 80132
Telephone: (719) 488-2370
Old Colorado City Library
2418 W Pikes Peak Ave
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
Telephone: (719) 634-1698
Palmer Lake Library
66 Lower Glenway
Palmer Lake, CO 80133
Telephone: (719) 481-2587
832 Village Center Dr
Colorado Springs, CO 80919
Telephone: (719) 593-8000
Ruth Holley Library
685 N Murray Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80915
Telephone: (719) 597-5377
Sand Creek Library
1821 S Academy Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80916
Telephone: (719) 597-7070
Ute Pass Library
Cascade, CO 80809
Telephone: (719) 684-9342
715 Aspen Drive
Security, CO 80911
Telephone: (719) 391-3191
- Manitou Springs Historical Society, 9 Capitol Hill Ave., Manitou Springs, CO 80829-1618
- National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
• Cheyenne Mountain Chapter
• Kinnikinnik Chapter
• Zebulon Pike Chapter
- Old Colorado City Historical Society
1 South 24th Street
Colorado Springs.Colorado 80904
- Palmer Lake Historical Society, P.O. Box 662, Palmer Lake, CO 80133
- Pikes Peak Computer Genealogists
- Pikes Peak Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 1262
Colorado Springs, CO 80901
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Catalog/frameset_fhlc.asp Place Search for the county.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
See also Colorado Vital Records.
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
- El Paso County Official Public Records Search, 1 January 1984 to present (includes marriages for 1984 to 1991 period not covered in database below)
- El Paso County Marriage/Civil Union Records Search, 1 May 1991 to present
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
The Colorado State Archives has put a name only Index to the El Paso County Divorce Records for the period 1903 to 1941 on-line.
All divorces and divorce records are handled by the El Paso County Courts, Colorado Judicial District 4. Please contact their office directly at 719 452-5000.
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- El Paso County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Pikes Peak Genealogical Society
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), El Paso County, Colorado. Page 98 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Earliest Colorado Vital Records on File in Colorado Counties, pub. by Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, accessed on www.colorado.gov
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 92.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov
- This page was last modified on 23 September 2014, at 16:49.
- This page has been accessed 20,688 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki