Elbert County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Elbert County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Elbert County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 10, 1790|
|Address|| Elbert County Courthouse|
10 W Church Sreet
Elberton, GA 30635-1498
Elbert County Website
Elbert County Courthouse
10 W Church Sreet
Elberton, GA 30635-1498
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court, land, and cemetery records from 1790 along with military from 1922. Probate Court has birth, marriage, death, burial and probate records
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported loss or damage.
- Abbeville County, South Carolina
- Anderson County, South Carolina
- McCormick County, South Carolina
- In Those Days is an oral history from elderly African Americans in Elbert County, Georgia, and Abbeville County, South Carolina.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- 1865-1885 - Elberton First Presbyterian Church Baptism Index 1865-1885. Batch C712741 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Elbert County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- McIntosh, John H. The Official History of Elbert County, 1790-1935. Elberton, Ga.: The Chapter, c1940. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Early migration routes to Elbert County for European settlers included:
- Savannah River pre-historic
- Occaneechi Path pre-historic
- Middle Creek Trading Path pre-historic
- Fall Line Road about 1735
- Augusta-Savannah Trail 1740s
- Augusta and Cherokee Trail 1740s
- Great Valley Road (south fork) 1740s
- Charleston-Ft. Charlotte Trail in South Carolina about 1765
- Ft. Charlotte and Cherokee Old Path in South Carolina about 1765
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Elbert County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills 1791-1826, Books A-M (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Will Book 1835-1860 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Misc. Wills, Inventories, Letters of Administration, 1791-1806 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Digital Images of Elbert County Wills 1836-1860. See names of Testators. Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1791-1835 - Elbert County Marriage Index 1791-1835. Batch M712727 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1803-1808 - Elbert County Marriage Index 1803-1808. Batch M712722 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1804-1812 - Elbert County Marriage Index 1804-1812. Batch M712723 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1812-1824 - Elbert County Marriage Index 1812-1824. Batch M712724 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1822-1829 - Elbert County Marriage Index 1822-1829. Batch M712725 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1829-1831 - Elbert County Marriage Index 1829-1831. Batch M712726 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1836-1867 - Elbert County Marriage Index 1836-1867. Batch M712728 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866-1887 - Elbert County Marriage Book D Index 1866-1887. Batch M712729 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1878 - Elbert County Marriage Index 1875-1878. Batch M712721 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1882-1895 - Elbert County Marriage Books E and F Index 1882-1895. Batch M712731 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1882-1899 - Elbert County Marriage Books A and B Index 1882-1899. Batch M712732 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1817; 1885-1886 (from old newspapers) Georgia Pioneers
- 1869-70 - Elbert County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
- 1875-1878 - Elbert County Death Index 1875-1878. Batch B003498 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Elbert County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Elbert County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Elbert County, Georgia. Page 155 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 29-30. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:21.
- This page has been accessed 13,470 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki