Eling, HampshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Eling, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||New Forest PLU|
|Registration District||New Forest|
|Parish registers: 1537|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1701|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
ELING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of New Forest, hundred of Redbridge, Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Southampton with the tythings of Bartley-Regis, Bauldoxfee, Bistern with Bartley, Colebury, Durley, Langley, Lopperwood, Marchwood, Rumbridge, Tatchbury, Testwood, Wade with Over, and Wigley..
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Eling parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|GENUKI = GENUKI - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|ELING PARISH Online Records|
||1707-1708, 1780-1814|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288801.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Abraham, A. G. The Abrahams of Totton and Eling. History and family tree of William Abraham 1784-1858, and (2nd) Mary Ratten of Totton and Eling. Also photo of the old house. Article covers years 1784-1918, Article in The Hampshire Family magazine fol. no. 4, Feb 1989, pages 251-253, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h Salt Lake City.
Prowting, June. The Bulls of Longdown. 1861 Census with Picket, Bull, Akehurst, Smith, Prowting, and pedigree chart in article, which covers years 1755-1980 in the parish of Eling. Article in The Hampshire Family Historian, vol. 17, no. 1, May, 1990, pages 44-45, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Wilcox, L. G. M. (nee Purkiss) King William and the Charcoal Burner. Different spelling of the name Purkiss, Purkes, Purcas, Purkis also Lovell, Rossiter and Light. Pedigree drawn up by Wills, Probates. Some early Mislead burial records, Purkes 1680-1689. Article covers years 1661-1740, Article in The Hampshire Family Historian, vol. 17 no. 3, Nov. 1990, pages 163-166, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 154-158. Date accessed: 17 June 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Hampshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Phillimore Hampshire Parish Marriage Registers, Vol. 7 (1900). Digital version at GENUKI - free.
- ↑ 'Hampshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:39.
- This page has been accessed 6,414 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page