Ellsworth County, KansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Ellsworth County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Ellsworth County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|Address|| Ellsworth County Courthouse|
210 N. Kansas Ave.
Ellsworth, Kansas 67439-0396
Ellsworth County Courthouse
210 N Kansas Ave; PO Box 396
Ellsworth, KS 67439
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records.
City Clerk has death and burial records.
Clerk District Court has divorce records.
County Court has court records
Register of Deeds has land records. 
- 1867--Ellsworth County was created 26 February 1867 from Marion County and unorganized territory.
County seat: Ellsworth 
Kanopolis Cemetery Index gives:
- Date of birth
- D of death
- Plot Owner
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- For information about Civil War records see Marion County.
Societies and Libraries
J.H. Robbins Library, Ellsworth: Library holdings can be searched in Pathfinder Central. The library may have cataloged unique items related to genealogy and local history, in addition to published works for this area.
Lang Memorial Library, Wilson: Library holdings can be searched in Pathfinder Central. The library may have cataloged unique items related to genealogy and local history, in addition to published works for this area.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ellsworth County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ellis County, Kansas page 250, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 19 June 2013, at 02:15.
- This page has been accessed 1,202 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More