Elsing, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Mitford and Launditch PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
ELSING, a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from East Dereham. 
Elsing St mary the Virgin is an Ancient Parish in the Sparham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
The village is named after a Danish chieftain, “Elesa”, whose image appears on the village sign together with his hunting hound. In mediaeval times, Elsing was a thriving town with a population of over a thousand. It had its own market and guildhall. The church of St Mary, built in 1347, has the widest pillarless nave in East Anglia. There is a brass commemorating the life of Sir Hugh Hastings, the Lord of the Manor. The Hastings family built the moated Elsing Hall in 1470. The Hall has a priest hole amongst its many features - used during the 16th century to hide Catholic priests from persecution.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Mitford 1837-1938
- East Dereham 1939-1974
Elsing, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Elsing, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 286
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438855.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Elsing on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- Sparham deanery website
- Images of the church
- stained glass of the church
- British listed buidings
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 164-167. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 22 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- ↑ 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 31 July 2015, at 21:16.
- This page has been accessed 3,960 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News