England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004 .
This collection contains records for the years 1797-2004.
This collection contains cemetery registers from Hollinwood, Failsworth, Royton, Crompton, Chadderton, Lees, and Greenacres cemeteries in Oldham. Most registers contain, name, address, date of death, date of burial and burial location.
Cemetery records are kept as a permanent record of who was buried and usually who purchased the burial plot.
The information in these records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the informant.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004.|
Cemetery Registers may include the following information:
- Name of deceased
- Description of deceased
- Age of deceased
- Date and place where death occurred
- Date and place of burial
- Grave number
How to Use the Record
To begin your search, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of ancestor
- Approximate year and place of death
Search the Collection
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Cemetery Name"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type, Year Range" which will take you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s burial record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Burial records are often brief so it can be easy to confuse individuals. Compare what is information is given with what you already know about your ancestor to make sure it is the correct person.
Next, look at the pieces of information given in the burial record for new information. Add any new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
- Use the birth date or year to search for birth records.
- Use the birth date along with your relative’s names to find the family in census records.
- Use the locality and relative's name to locate church and land records.
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have been buried in the same cemetery or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person with a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby cemeteries.
- Compile the entries for every person with the same surname. This is especially helpful for rural areas or unusual surnames.
|FHL Place England, Lancashire, Oldham items or FHL Keyword England, Lancashire, Oldham items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see England Archives and Libraries.|
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
- Lancashire County Cemetery Records
- Deceased Online Search
- England and Wales History Links
- England and Wales Historic Maps
Related Wiki Articles
- Lancashire Cemeteries
- England Cemeteries
- Lancashire BMD
- List of Parish and Chapelries of Oldham
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing Hollinwood Cemetery, Oldham, England.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for England, Lancashire, Oldham Cemetery Registers, 1797-2004.|
- This page was last modified on 10 January 2016, at 02:55.
- This page has been accessed 22,576 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News