England, Norfolk, Church of England Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
NOTE #1: These records are from the Parish registers of christenings, marriages, and burials located in the County Record Office in Norfolk. Included are parishes both in and outside of Norfolk. The Diocese of Norwich may include parishes in Suffolk, Norfolk, Lincolnshire, and CambridgeshireOnly a small part of the records in this collection are included in the index. If the parish you are looking for is not found in the England, Norfolk Parish Registers 1538-1900 collection, you may find it in the England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812 collection. A complete list of the parish registers available for Norfolk can be found at the http://www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk/
NOTE #2: Most missing records are available on microfilm. See Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche for instructions on ordering microfilm as well as finding a local FamilySearch Center where you can view the film:
Question #1: Which record set titles do not have correct years or do not agree with their attached images?
Answer #1: The browse point titles are generally correct but the following is a list of known exceptions:
- Catton > Marriages > 1843-1860 and Catton > Baptisms > 1843-1879 are linked to records from St. Clement, Norwich, also referred to as New Catton.
Question #2: Which record sets have images that are out of sequence, missing, or out of focus or faded?
- In the following records, many images are difficult to read because the images are out of focus. Even though they were written legibly and are well-preserved, zooming provides limited improvement in readability. These are the best images available to FamilySearch.
- Morely St Botolph
- South Lynn > Baptisms, Marriages, Burials > 1679-1812:
- Morely St Botolph
- Collections with missing records or records with obstructed views
- Cley-next-the-Sea. Part of the record on Image 27 of the 1813-1855 Burials records (Page 49 of the original record) is covered by a piece of paper,. However, the page can be seen on the next image.
- Oxnead > Marriages > 1838-1908. Pages 10 and 11 are missing
- Weasenham St Peter > Marriages > 1837-1902. More than half of the image on the right side of the pages cannot be viewed. These images can be viewed by ordering film 1596068 and viewing Item 28. See Note 2 above.
- Woodbastwick > Marriages 1754-1813, image 12 of 28 is obscured by a blank object. The original film # 1596765 is unaffected by the obstruction. See Note 2 above.
- Worstead > Marriages > 1837-1901. Pages 39-47 are missing but can be viewed on film #1596388 Item #10. See note 2 above.
- Yarmouth, St Nicholas > Baptisms > 1872-1876. The original document pages are not in sequence after image 12 and some are missing.
- This volume was severely water damaged and pages were out of order. It was filmed exactly as it was found to avoid further damage.
- All pages are accounted for except 76. There are two pages numbered 169 in the original document and no page 170. There are two page 156. All other images can be found by browsing the images.
- There are no Baptismal records between 1838-1872; records were too fragile to microfilm.
- Yarmouth St Nicholas > Marriages > 1806-1812. Pages 294 and 295 are missing
Question #3: I can find many people in the browse portion of this collection that do not appear in the index even though there is a search option for these records. How can I find people through the search function?
Answer #3: Only a small portion of the images have been indexed and included in this collection. However, many of the images have been indexed and included in England, Births and Christening, 1538- 1975, England, Marriages, 1538–1973 and England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991 collections. It is possible you can locate the person in one of those collections and take the information to find the corresponding image in the Norfolk Parish Registers.
Question #4: Batch I07426-5 identifies the residence of most individuals as Little Plumstead but the details for each person does not show the residence. Is the residence information correct?
Answer #4: There is no residence information on the film. The listing of the residence as being in Little Plumstead is incorrect.
Question #5: The cover page for the records found at the browse points of both Norwich St. Clement andNorwich St Edmund says the records are from St Clement with St Edmund Norwich. Are the record locations correctly identified in the separate browse points?
Answer #5: The records found at Norwich St Clement are all from St Clement. However, the records found at Norwich St Edmund have records from both locations as shown in the following table.
|Norwich St Edmund browse point||Actual Location|
|Banns 1754-1814, 1814-1823||St Edmund|
|Banns 1823-1829||St Clement|
|Banns 1823-1881||St Edmund|
|Banns 1829-1867, 1868-1879, 1879-1906||St Clement|
|Baptisms, Burials||St Edmund|
|Baptisms, Marriages, Burials||St Edmund|
|Burials 1813-1840||St Clement|
|Burials 1813-1856||St Edmund|
|Burials 1840-1855||St Clement|
|Marriages 1813-1830||St Edmund|
|Marriages 1754-1814||St Clement|
|Marriages 1813-1837||St Edmund|
|Marriages 1830-1837||St Clement|
Question #6: There are instances where the catalog says the film is online but there is no browse point for that film. For example; Film 1041498 for Stoke-Holycross, How can I browse these records?
Answer #6: Even though the catalog indicates the records are available online, there are cases where the owner of the original records has restricted the film from being published online. The catalog note is incorrect.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example: England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997 > Weasenham, St Peter > Marriages > 1837-1902 > Image 15 of 40
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the England, Norfolk, Church of England Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 2 July 2014, at 18:19.
- This page has been accessed 5,442 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki