England Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Question #1: Some marriages have been attributed to the wrong parish or with incorrect dates. How can I determine the correct marriage information?
Answer #1: The event place and date can be checked on original parish, town, or county records or microfilm of such records, when available. These records can be ordered for viewing at a FamilySearch Center. For instructions on ordering microfilm see: Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche.
The Library Catalog and microfilm of Bishop’s Transcripts and Archdeacon’s Transcripts, when available, can also be usefully compared with the death or burial place in an indexed entry.
When an indexed entry includes a film item number:
- Search for film number in the Library Catalog;
- Select the marriage place that was identified in the indexed entry;
- Check the Film Notes to confirm that the film item number agrees with the item number in the indexed entry. If there is no reference number in the indexed entry, the microfilm must be viewed to confirm that the marriage place is correct.
The following is a list of known problems relating to incorrect indexing information:
- Batch I00355-6, film 183619: Records have been indexed as Dover, Kent. The correct location is Sturry, Kent, England.
- Batch I00497-1, Film 1752198: The indexed location of Battersea, Surrey is incorrect. The correct location of the St George German Lutheran Church is Whitechapel, London, Middlesex.
- Batch I01348-6, Film 1040887: Records from Tutbury, Stafford have been incorrectly attributed to Walsall-Wood, Stafford. Film #1040887 includes parish registers for both Tutbury (Items 1-6) and Walsall-Wood (Items 7-9)and can be viewed to confirm the correct marriage place.
- Batch I01477-7, Film 1751866: Faversham and Folkestone records are on the same film but all records have been incorrectly attributed to Faversham. Need to look at film to confirm location. Indexed information from other records may show the same marriage but at both locations. In case of conflict, Folkestone is likely correct.
- Batch I02014-1, Film 2147080: Any indexed location showing Terrington, St Clement is incorrect and is either East Grinstead, Funtington or Goring in Sussex. Need to look at film 2147080 to confirm information, but in most cases, the correct location will be Funtington.
- Batch I02069-9, Film 1736521: Records are from Alkham, Kent not Norfolk.
- Batch I02070-7: Records are from the parishes St Mary and St Thomas Aquinas, Stella, Durham, not from Newcastle-upon-Tyne as shown.
- Batch I02241-3, Film 1470863: Most of the records from the batch are shown as occurring in Wood Dalling. Any Wood Dalling locations are questionable as the records could be from Norfolk parishes falling alphabetically after Wood Dalling.
- Batch I02314-2, Film 1469094 Records from Kyloe, Northumberland, England have been indexed incorrectly. The correct location is Doddington, Northumberland, England.
- Batch I02318-1, Film1470920: Most records in the is batch are wrongly attributed to Laverton, Somerset, England. Parish of Laverton may or may not be correct.
- Batch I02377-8, Film 1470912: Records from Over Stowey and Pilton have all been attributed to Pilton, Somerset. Need to look at film to confirm information.
- Batch I03058-3, film 1470910. The event place is given as West Hatch, Somerset, England. The correct event place is Nether Stowey, Somerset, England.
- Batch I03327-8, Film 1526322. All the records are shown as being from St. Martin At Oak Church, Norwich, Norfolk. However, the film also has records from St. Martin-at-Palace Church, Norwich and St. Michael Coslany Church, Norwich. Need to look at the film to determine the correct event location.
- Batch I03376-6, Film 1656149: Records from St Anne, Lancashire have been incorrectly attributed to St Andrew, Lancashire. Film 1656149 includes parish registers for both St Andrew and St Anne and can be viewed to confirm the correct marriage place.
- Batches I03904-9, I03905-0, Film1517739: Records from Yoxall, Staffordshire have been incorrectly attributed to Wombourn, Staffordshire. Film 1517739 contains parish registers for both Yoxall and Wombourn and can be viewed to confirm the correct marriage place.
- Batch # I03964-7: Chalvington, Sussex, England has been indexed as Cahlvington
- Batch I04146-8, Film 1597111: Some marriages at Siston, Gloucestershire have been incorrectly attributed to Siston, Lancaster.
- Batches I04300-2, I04300-3, I04415-4, I04415-5, Film 1999830: All of the records are shown as being from Hornton, Oxford. However, many of the records are in the 1600's and the Hornton records only start in the 1800's. Need to look at the film to determine the correct location.
- Batch I04481-1, Film 1526463: Multiple locations on same film have been incorrectly attributed to same location. Need to look at film to confirm information.
- Batch I04511-8, Film 1849267: Some Barningham, York marriage records have been incorrectly attributed to Barnsley, York.
- Batch I04637-5, Film 199946 : Records are from both Irchester and Irthlingborough, Northampton but have all been indexed as from Irchester. Need to look at the film to determine the correct location.
- Batches I04790-7, I04790-9, I04791-1, I04791-4 Film 1545479. The records are shown as being from Wardleworth in 1702, 1704, 1706 and 1708. The correct location is Rochdale and the years are 1782, 1784, 1786 and 1788.
- Batch I06791-6. The event place was indexed as Lazant. It should be Lezant.
- Batch I07402-8 and I07402-9, film 1702622. Records from Docking are incorrectly attributed to Garboldisham.
- Batch I07435-5, Film 1702653: Wimbotsham, Norfolk records are incorrectly attributed to Weasenham All Saints, Norfolk.
- Batch I07519-1, Film 1657204: Multiple locations on same film have been incorrectly attributed to same location. Need to look at film to confirm information.
- Batch I07537-8, Film 1951376: There are records from both Kenninghall and Hargham but all have been indexed as Hargham. Need to look at film to confirm correct location..
- Batch M00731-5, Film 1656509: The records are from Saint Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, not Lancaster, Lancashire.
- Batch M01354-4, Film 1752222: Records from Scropton, Derbyshire have been incorrectly attributed to Ripley, Derbyshire. Film #1752222 contains parish registers for both Scropton and Ripley and can be viewed to confirm the correct marriage place.
- Batch M01619-4, EASy Film 989534 extracted location as Somerton, Suffolk. Batch M13233-1, ODM Film 989534 extracted location as Lawshall, Suffolk. Film description doesn't help. Need to look at film to confirm information.
- Batch M01656-8, film 1595893 Item 3: The event place is Bristol, St Peter, Gloucestershire instead of Bristol, St Nicholas, Gloucestershire.
- Batch M01947-7, Film 1278913: This batch includes records from several different parishes from for Surrey. Limited instances have been reported of the wrong parish being identified as the marriage place. When an indexed entry is from film 1278913, check the film notes as described above.
- Batch M05442-2: The England-ODM records show the location as Longford which is correct. The England-VR records showing Etwall as the location are incorrect.
- Batch M13533-5 Film 1067298: Two different locations for the same event are shown. Salehurst, Sussex is the correct location and St. James Westminster, London is incorrect.
- Batch: M15397-1, Film 1279445: The film appears to have been indexed twice and may show two different localities for the same marriage record - England, Wiltshire, Bishopstone (near Shrivenham) and England, Wiltshire, Bishopstrow. Need to look at the film to confirm information, but in most cases, if there are duplicates, the correct location will be Bishopstone.
- Batches M39139-9, M39140-1 and M15411-1, Film Number 599466: All indexed records are shown as being from Allington. This is incorrect. Allington is only one of the locations in these batches. Need to look at the film to determine the correct location.
- Films 0091528, 0091529 and 428917: A search by film number finds no records. The records from these film are from Horsley, Gloucestershire.
- Film 0498093: A search by film number does not find any of the Horsley, Gloucestershire records.
- Film 1596232: Some records have been incorrectly recorded as occurring in Bale, Norfolk. Parts of the film are from Bale but others are from Stratton St. Michael, Field Dalling and Lammas with Little Hautbois. To verify the correct location, it is possible to view the Parish register images for these events in the England, Norfolk Parish Registers, 1538-1900 collection.
- Film 2262748: The film has records from both Marham and Hockwold-cum-Wilton but most have been indexed as being from Marham. It may be possible to find the correct location by searching in the England, Norfolk Parish Registers, 1538-1900 collection
Question #2: Some indexed entries include the wrong film number. What is the correct film number?
Answer #2: The following is a list of known film number errors:
- Batch M01711-1 mistakenly identifies the source film as 97133. Entries for marriages performed at Albury, Surrey are found on film 804115.
- Batch M15823-1 mistakenly identifies the source film as 1279489. Entries for marriages performed at Buckland Newton, Dorset are found on film is 1279487.
- Batch I03681-9: Some of the marriages in Warmley, Gloucester are indexed as being from source film 1597121 item 6. The correct item number is 2.
Question #3: Some entries in the collection are for marriage banns, but are not identified as such. Is it possible that (1) the marriage did not occur, or (2) it occurred at another location and has not been indexed for inclusion in the England Marriages collection?
Answer #3: Yes. Check the Library Catalog Notes for the film number included in an indexed entry to determine whether the marriage year corresponds to the date range in the Notes for marriage banns.
Question #4: There are marriage records for Norfolk, Virginia, USA included in this collection. Is this correct?
Answer #4: This is an indexing error. The records are from Norfolk, England.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the England Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the England Marriages, 1538–1973 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 3 June 2014, at 21:07.
- This page has been accessed 5,902 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page