Erith, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Erith, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Erith St John the Baptist Kent
|Poor Law Union||Dartford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1625|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
ERITH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Dartford, hundred of Lessness, lathe of Sutton-At-Hone, W. division of Kent, 2¼ miles (N.) from Crayford. 
Erith is a district in the London Borough of Bexley see Erith Wikipedia which contains a list of places of worship.
Erith St John the Baptist is an Ancient Parish which included Lessness-Heath, Picardy, Northumberland-Heath, and Beadonwell; the parish church of St John the Baptist has been designated asa grade II* listed building British listed building
From this parish were formed
The Baptist church at Lessness Heath dates from 1805.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Erith St John the Baptist parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Erith St John the Baptist Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1625-1753, 1830-1873||1625-1753, 1813-1863||1625-1753, 1813-1858|
|IGI||1625-1752, 1813-1873||1625-1758, 1813-1863|
Erith Christ Church parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Erith Christ Church Parish Online Records|
Belvedere All Saints parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Belvedere All Saints Parish Online Records|
Bexley Local Studies and Archive Centre is the Diocesan Record Office for all the Church of England Parishes within the London Borough of Bexley reference PA137 St John's, Erith 1625-1996.
- Lessness Heath Baptist 1808-1832 (Births) Batch (C093971)
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 181-186. Date accessed: 25 July 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 3 December 2014, at 18:28.
- This page has been accessed 5,519 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More