Escambia County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Escambia County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Escambia County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||July 21, 1821|
Escambia County Courthouse
223 S Palafox Place
Pensacola, FL 32501
Clerk County Court has marriage, probate and court records from 1821.
County Health Department has birth and death records.
Comptroller has land records from 1821. 
1821--Escambia County was created 21 July 1821 as an original county.
County seat: Pensacola 
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Florida counties see: Florida Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
- Escambia County, Florida Cemetery Transcriptions - The USGenWeb Archives Project
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- St. John's Cemetery, Pensacola, Florida (Sponsored by The Friends of St. John's Cemetery Foundation)
- St. John's Cemetery, Pensacola BillionGraves
- Veterans Administration National Cemeteries - Florida National Cemeteries
- Barrancas National Cemetery, Pensacola BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Escambia County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- [http://www.escambiaclerk.com/clerk/coc_online_public_records.aspx Clerk of the Court, Escambia County)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- [http://www.escambiaclerk.com/clerk/coc_online_public_records.aspx Clerk of the Court, Escambia County) - Plat Books and Old Deed Books Public Records Search
- Florida Territorial Land Records
Local histories are available for Escambia County, Florida. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- Maps of Florida (1821-1997)
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- The 1890 Census Veterans Schedules for Fort Barrancas in Escambia County are available on roll 118 of "Special Schedules of the Eleventh Census (1890) Enumerating Union Veterans and Widows of Union Veterans of the Civil War" (NARA M123). The schedules list veterans and their widows who served as Union soldiers in the Civil War. For more information on the 1890 Veterans Schedules see Union Census Records.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Escambia County:
Map showing Civil War battles in Florida.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Escambia County, Florida newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Escambia County, Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Escambia, Florida - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
Probate records are held by the Escambia County, Florida Clerk of Court and are housed at the Escambia County, Florida Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- Clerk of the Court, Escambia County - Probate Court Public Records Search
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
- Clerk of the Court, Escambia County - Tax Deed Sales Records
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1880-1907 - Pensacola Birth Index 1880-1907. Batch C743376 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1891-1910 - Pensacola Birth Index 1891-1910. Batch C745432 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1822-1870 - Escambia County Marriage Books A thru F Index 1822-1870. Batch M514451 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-1880 - Escambia County Marriage Books G thru J Index 1869-1880. Batch M514452 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1881 - Escambia County Marriage Books G thru J Index 1870-1881. Batch M743462 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Escambia County Marriage Books K thru N Index 1881-1885. Batch M514453 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1896 - Escambia County Marriage Books K thru N Index 1881-1896. Batch M743512 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1896-1907 - Escambia County Marriage Books O and P Index 1896-1907. Batch M743388 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1907-1915 - Escambia County Marriage Books Q and R Index 1907-1915. Batch M743378 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1915-1921 - Escambia County Marriage Books S and T Index 1915-1921. Batch M743383 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1921-1927 - Escambia County Marriage Books U and V Index 1921-1927. Batch M743377 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1905 - Pensacola Death Index 1876-1905. Batch B743375 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1891-1910 - Pensacola Death Index 1891-1910. Batch B745433 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
- List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- The West Florida Genealogical Society
- West Florida Genealogy Library
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Escambia County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Escambia County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Escambia County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Escambia County, The FLGenWeb Project at USGenWeb
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Escambia County, Florida. Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 26 June 2012).
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 23 September 2014, at 20:58.
- This page has been accessed 11,059 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki