Etchingham, SussexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Etchingham, Sussex family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Ticehurst PLU|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1604|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Lewes|
|Location of Archive|
|Sussex Record Office|
ETCHINGHAM, a parish, in the union of Ticehurst, hundred of Henhurst, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 8 miles (S. by E.) from Lamberhurst.
Etchingham the Assumption of the Blessed Mary and St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the Rother district of East Sussex and includes Hurst Green and Flimwell. A small part of the parish boundary forms the county boundary with neighbour Hawkhurst, Kent
A history of the church Etchingham The Assumption of the Blessed Mary and St Nicholas
The Parish Church has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Hurst Green Holy Trinity was formed from this parish, see places of worhip in Hurst Green at Sussex Online Parish Clerks(OPC) Hurst Green East Sussex and details of the village and civil parish Hurst Green East Sussex Wikipedia
See also Etchingham Wikipedia
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
For civil registration history see Ticehurst registration district
Etchingham, Sussex parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Etchingham, Sussex Parish Online Records|
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Etchingham
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464158.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 186-191. Date Accessed: 4 October 2013
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 30 December 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Sussex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 3 January 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 15 December 2013.
- ↑ Sussex Online Parish Clerks, accessed 7 January 2014.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 25 August 2014, at 15:24.
- This page has been accessed 1,214 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki