FGS 2011 ConferenceEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"Pathways to the Heartland"
Springfield, Illinois September 7-10, 2011
Local host: Illinois State Genealogical Society
Since its founding in 1976, the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) has been providing educational opportunities for those interested in genealogy and family history in its support of genealogical and historical societies throughout the United States.
This year's conference, "Pathways to the Heartland" offers an exciting opportunity for anyone interested in researching their family history. Individual sessions are designed to balance the needs of genealogist at all levels, exploring a variety of records, strategies, and other tools available to genealogists. Wednesday's Focus on Societies includes sessions dedicated to members and leaders of genealogical and historical societies. In addition, special events, such as the FGS 35th Anniversary Celebration, Spotlight on Societies, and daily sponsored lectures provide an excellent environment to meet and network with others interested in family history and genealogy.
FGS 2011 will feature the following keynote speakers:
- David Rencher - AG, CG, FIGRS, FUGA, is Chief Genealogical Officer for FamilySearch and a former president of FGS.
- David S. Ferriero - is the tenth Archivist of the United States. He previously served as Andrew W. Mellon Director of the New York Public Libraries.
- Harold Holzer - is one of the country's leading authorities on Abraham Lincoln and the political culture of the Civil War era. A prolific writer and lecturer, and frequent guest on television, he was appointed co-chairman of the United States Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission by President Clinton and in 2008 received the National Humanities Medal from President Bush.
Wednesday, September 7
- An Old Fashioned Prairie Social A Focus on Societies event sponsored by FamilySearch and presented by the Illinois State Genealogical Society.
Thursday, September 8
- Society Showcase Join FGS member societies and conference attendees in the exhibit hall for an evening of extended hours, door-prizes and networking.
Friday, September 9
- FGS 35th Anniversary Celebration Celebrate the 35th Anniversary of the Federation of Genealogical Societies during the FGS/ISGS 2011 Conference! Join the Federation of Genealogical Societies for a fun-filled evening of entertainment, learning, and celebration as we recognize the past, present, and future of FGS and its service to the genealogical community at the 35th Anniversary Celebration Gala.
Sunday, September 11
- Farewell Brunch. Join fellow genealogists for a buffet style Farewell Brunch at the Hilton Springfield.
View the FGS 2011 Program at the FGS 2011 site.
View the FGS 2011 exhibitor list at the FGS 2011 site.
View the floor plan map at the FGS 2011 site.
- Official FGS 2011 Conference Website
- FGS 2011 Media Center
- FGS 2011 social directory - Lanyrd.com
- FGS Conference News Blog
- FGS 2011 Facebook Page
- FGS2011 Twitter Page
- This page was last modified on 1 February 2013, at 16:41.
- This page has been accessed 1,262 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page