FamilySearch.orgEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Visitors to FamilySearch.org can search over a billion digital images and indexes of records from all over the world. These records include government and church records for births, marriages, and deaths; censuses; probate records, land records, draft cards; and so forth. Millions of new records are published on a weekly basis.
Many of the records on the FamilySearch website are indexed, making them easier to search. The indexes are created by volunteers. Currently, there over 125,000 active indexers around the world who complete about one million names a day. Anyone can help with this effort, regardless of their age, religion, or technical background; all that is needed is a computer and an Internet connection. The free online application is available in seven languages.
FamilySearch.org features several resources to help people learn how to discover their family history. For example, this Wiki is an interactive online encyclopedia for family history research. This site contains research helps, guides, and advice from FamilySearch experts, but is also a place where anyone can share what they know about genealogy. Visitors to the site can search by geographic area or to get tips and helpful information on climbing their own family trees.
Through FamilySearch Forums, individuals can post questions about their own research and FamilySearch staff or anyone from the genealogical community helps answer them.
Free online classes available on the FamilySearch website can be taken anytime from the comfort of home.
The length and format of the classes vary by subject, but usually include video of the presenter, a PowerPoint presentation, and class handouts. Many of these classes are taught by experts at the renowned Family History Library in Salt Lake City, but FamilySearch has also partnered with individual genealogists and facilities like the Midwest Genealogy Center in Independence, Missouri.
Here are some quick facts about FamilySearch.org:
- Number of names in searchable databases: over 1 billion
- Number of hits per day: over 10 million
- Number of visitors per month: over 3 million
- Number of pages viewed per day: over 1 million
- Number of registered users: over 1 million
- Number of hits since launch: over 15 billion
- Number of visitors since launch: over 150 million
- ↑ "FamilySearch Website - LDS Newsroom." LDS News | Mormon News - Official Newsroom of the Church . Intellectual Reserve, Inc, n.d. Web. 27 Feb. 2012.
- This page was last modified on 16 September 2013, at 15:26.
- This page has been accessed 29,075 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More