FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 13 Dec 2011Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266 1 p.m. Mountain time on Tuesdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
- Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.
Introduce new members
Kudos go to ...
- Community members who explained the TOC issue so eloquently and provided the right mix of pressure to get the problem fixed.
- Wiki Trainers
Updates and follow up
- FYI WikiProject New York has moved their progress chart (tasks list and instructions) and progress graph off the Wiki to GoogleDocs. Links on the Wiki project page point the way to GoogleDocs. Instructions on GoogleDocs explain community members who wish to participate will need to contact project leaders to be added to the GoogleDocs edit list. David Dilts
- Discussion continued re: Cyndi's List and other aggregator sites. This has been added to today's agenda, now that we've had a week to think about it.
- Our linking might not go to the categories she has set up, which could be an issue
- Deep linking is necessary for the user
- Concern - we need to be sure we balance our out-bound links, that we are not linking out anymore than we have to. If another site has better resources than the Wiki, a link would be good until we have a project that gives the information.
- Template for counties with minimum content that would link to Cyndi's list for that topic, but a well developed county should not link out if we have the information on our pages. Link directly to the information needed.
- Deep links will enable users to find the data
- A page could be created as a "descripter" page of Cyndi's List, but not a collecting point for all links from the wiki
- Badge could contain link to descripter page and her site
- Invite Cyndi to write her descripter page - Nathan will talk to her and could use help with getting a generic template or embedding in the stub template. Jane will help him.
- Cemetery aggregator page is also being created by James
Style Guide Discussions
- Please discuss County Headings for Utah Wiki Project
- Heading: Key Facts rather than Quick Facts or Historical Facts
- Linking each heading to the State page for that topic (testing "Biographies"
- Wording could be used to direct patron to resources on the state page from the county page when there is further information on the state page, specific. Style guide should be checked for clarification on this issue. Avoid duplication.
- There might be a link to the federal level if there is information for the county, with a specific URL that wouldn't involve more clicks to get to the topic at hand
- Discussion of cemetery pages that don't belong in the Wiki - Judy will post on the Talk pages and put template on them .
Project Help Requests
- Need help with your project? See a project that needs to be done? Add it here:
Improve the Wiki
Moderators and Adopters
- Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at Wiki Contributors Corner forum.
| Current forum threads of interest:
New since last week
Decisions made since last week
- This page was last modified on 13 December 2011, at 21:02.
- This page has been accessed 362 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki