FamilySearch Wiki:Contributors Meeting 20 September 2012Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
MeetingPlace ID: 7770; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266 1 p.m. Mountain time on Thursdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
- Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.
Introduce new members
Kudos go to ...
Updates and follow up
- References in the wiki "the question really isn't about whether to use footnote or endnote styles, but rather how to display information so that readers can most effectively glean it."
- The question is whether we should change the style guide to indicate a link to the information in the text, with a footnote that shows where the information came from.
- Danielle will come up with an idea of how the guide should read and we'll contact Lise and ask her to do the same. Then we can reach a conclusion.
Let's get this one completed!
- Reminder - please take and encourage others to take the survey for new home page. It will end at Midnight, Saturday,Sept. 22. Please have younger people and beginners take the survey also.
New Agenda Items
- Experimenting and Testing in the Wiki - purpose, style guide, procedures, etc. See The Lean Startup. -- janellv 15:02, 19 September 2012 (UTC)
- We need to test and watch people using the Wiki and glean from what they do, as they use the Wiki and try to solve research problems. Most people don't know what a Wiki is. They don't know how to navigate around it to find what they need and perhaps, don't know what they need.
- We can learn from watching people use the Wiki and from experimenting with what is in the Wiki.
- Then, we need to see the results of those experiments. (evaluating)
- Usability testing needs to have the same pairs of eyes on the people who are testing, with a specific problem or questions to answer. Team Viewer could be used.
- We must make Wiki more Beginner-centric.
- We lead beginners to the pages through a beginner process. Do we need some pages that go back to some pages similar to the old Research outlines. 5 minute genealogy video's.
- People need success in a short period of time, if they're going to come back.
- 'Source Box' integration with Wiki. It was mentioned in one of the webinars that they were going to add Source Box' to the Wiki, probably not directly in-page but in a way that would allow you to add the page or maybe part of it to your source box and attach it to ancestors like any other source in Family Tree. How might that affect us and what about articles on how best to use articles as sources in Family Tree? JamesAnderson 18:35, 20 September 2012 (UTC)
- Add categories for Beginners and Intermediate levels
- Be part of the solution! Make your opinions known! Post comments to an existing thread or start a new discussion at Wiki Contributors Corner forum.
| Current forum threads of interest:
New since last week
Comments added since last week
Decisions made since last week
- This page was last modified on 20 September 2012, at 20:01.
- This page has been accessed 387 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More